Back to: CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES SS1
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking more about the new life in Christ. Enjoy the class!
New Life in Christ II
The characteristics of the new life is referred to as the fruit of the Spirit. But the fruit of the Spirit produces in a person’s life love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
Ways Christians can show their new life in Christ
- Living a New life and forgetting the old.
- As Christians, we should be light and salt of the World as Christ commands.
- As Christians, we must get involved in the works of preaching the gospel and contributing our quota for every good work within the Christian community.
The following are practices which can have negative effects in any Christian community:
gossiping, backbiting, social injustice, sexual immorality, fraud and corruption, child abuse, drug abuse, jealousy, envy, quarrelling, fighting and unforgiveness, drunkenness, greed, selfishness, hatred, etc.
Need to Stick to New Life ( Rom. 6:12-19)
Believers should not let sin control their life here on earth. We must not be ruled by the things our sinful self makes us want to do. We should not offer the parts of your body to serve sin. Our bodies should not be used to do evil, but offered to God, as people who have died and now live. Offer the parts of your body to God to be used for doing good. Sin should not be our master, because we are not under law but now live under God’s grace.
So what should we do? Should we sin because we are under grace and not under law? Certainly not! We are expected to stick to the new life in Christ Jesus.
We know that we become the slaves of whatever we give yourselves to. Anything or anyone we follow will be our master. Therefore, we must not follow sin but obey God. This is because the following sins bring spiritual death, but obeying God makes us right with him. In the past, we offered the parts of our body to be slaves to our immoral and sinful thoughts. The result was that we lived only for sin
Before salvation, we were slaves to sin—sin controlled us. But thank God, at salvation we fully obeyed righteousness.
This is because we were made free from sin, and now we are slaves to what is right. In the same way, we must now offer yourselves to be slaves to what is right. Then we will live only for God.
Steps new believers should take before initiation into the new life in Christ.
- The individual must listen to the world of God.
- Confession of Sin by word of mouth then follows conviction and belief in the word preached.
- Determination to live worthy of the gospel of Jesus Christ while being a member of the church.
- Confirmation by the Bishop of the church after which the person is entitled to partake in the body and blood of Jesus during Holy Communion.
What should be the model of Christian living as contained in Paul’s epistle to the Romans?
- Outline the features of the new Life in Christ as stated by Paul to the Colossians.
- Identify three practices which can have negative effects in the Christian community (June 2006, WASSCE).
In our next class, we will be talking about Sonship. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.Your Opinion Matters! Quickly tell us how to improve your Learning Experience HERE
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!