Back to: DATA PROCESSING SS 3
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about data models. Enjoy the class!
Definition of data models
Data model Is the process of structuring and organizing data.
Types of data models
- Star Schema
Significance of data models
- A well-developed data model can foster an improved understanding of the organization
- Data model helps in structuring and organizing of data
- It imposes constraints or limitations on the data placed within the structure
Standard data model
A standard data model or industry-standard data model is a data model that is widely applied in some industry and shared amongst competitors to some degree. Examples are: ISO 10303, ISO 15926, IDEAS GROUP.
It is the process of efficiently organizing data in a database by reducing duplication or redundancy and design flaws.
Provide criteria for determining a table’s degree of vulnerability to logical inconsistencies and anomalies.
Classes of normal form
1st, 2nd, 3rd, BNC, 4th and 5th normal forms
Determinant of normal form
- The minimal number of attributes necessary to support the data requirements of the enterprise
- Attributes with a close logical relationship are found in the same relation
- Minimal redundancy with each attribute represented only once with the important exception of attributes that form all or part of foreign keys.
- Define data model
- State types of data model
Concept of keys
It is the attribute used to identify a record uniquely in a table or database
Composite primary key:
Two or more keys used as a primary key
It is the field or attribute of a table that matches the primary key of another table.
Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD)
It is the diagram that illustrates the logical structure of a database.
Components of Entity-Relationship
It is anything for which data can be written about in a business.
Are the data elements that have the smallest units of data that can be described in a meaningful manner.
It is an association among the instances of one or more entity types
Defines the relationships between the entities in terms of numbers.
Types of relationship
- (a) Define data model? (b) State types of data model
- (a) State five (5) classes of normal forms (b) Bring the table below to Second Normal Form
Hint: This table has a composite primary key [CustomerID, StoreID]
- Data models describe ……… data for storage in data management systems (a) structured (b) unstructured (c) integer (d) alphabetic
- Which of this is not an example of standard data model (a) ISO 10303 (b) ISO 15926 (c) IDEAS GROUP d) Good shepherd
- ……….. key is a field in a relational table that matches a primary key of another table (a) foreign (b) surrogate (c) primary (d) candidate
- ……………. is a graphical representation of entities and their relationships to each other (a) Entity-Relationship Diagram (b) Entity-Relationship Picture (c) Entity-Relationship Data (d) Entity-Relationship Symbol
- A roof covers a building describes …………relationship (a) one-to-one (b) one-to-many (c) many-to-many(d) None of the above
- (a) Define the following terms (i) Entity (ii) Attribute (iii) Relationship
(b) What is cardinality?
(c) Mention and explain three types of relationship in ERD with one example each
- (a) Define the following (i) Primary key (ii) Foreign key (iii) Composite primary key
(b) Explain the term Normal Form.
(c) Design a database of your choice indicating the primary key and the foreign key
In our next class, we will be talking about Indexes: Definition, Clustered versus Unclustered indexes. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃
2 thoughts on “Data Models”
This is reallyy good. They made it soo short and self explanatory. Nice one!!!
Pls what are the answers to the questions?