PROPERTIES OF THE NORMAL DISTRIBUTION
- It depends on the mean (u) and standard deviation
- The shape is bell-shaped
- The function is continuous, hence the range is from –ά to + ά
- The curve is symmetrical about the vertical line through the mean.
A normal distribution function is a probability function, hence the total area under the curve is 1 .
The normal distribution has a complicated equation, but it can be shown in shaded area under the shape
- Values within 1 sd of the mean
Using the standard deviation normal distribution table. Find the area under
1. Pr (-1.5 < z< 2.0) 2.Pr(z <1.5) 3.Pr (z >2.6)
The area under a normal distribution curve between two values depends on the number of standard deviations from the mean. Therefore, the standardize normal curve is obtained from the normal curve by the substitution.
Z = X – µ
:. Z is called the standardized score or Z score at mean zero (o) and standard deviation 1.
The weights of packets of sugar produced by a machine have a mean of 1kg and a standard deviation of 0.1kg. What is the probability that in a random sample of 50 packets the combined weight will exceed 52kg?
- The inner diameters of bolts produced in a factory are normally distributed with mean 5cm and standard deviation 0.02cm. Find (a) the percentage of the number of bolts with inner diameters less than 5.015cm; (b) the probability that a bolt will have an inner diameter between 4.995cm and 5.015cm.
- Use the standard normal distribution table to find (i) Pr (Z > 2.6) (ii) Pr (- 1.5 < Z < 1.7)
Read Z scores and Normal distribution. Further Mathematics Project III Page 2 202-210.
1. Find the area between z = 0.36 and z= 1.89 (a) 0.33 (b) 0.6112 (c) 1.00Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃