Back to: Food and Nutrition SS 2
Reasons to Preserve Your Own Food
- Long term storage of fresh produce (12 months+) without needing a refrigerator or freezer.
- Environmentally friendly – using seasonally grown and locally sourced fresh produce, re-use preserving jars, reducing food packaging and reducing food miles.
- Save money by buying in bulk and seasonally.
- Flavour! Home canned food won’t contain artificial preservatives, BPA or other artificial ingredients.
- Convenience – ready to serve in minutes.
- Community involvement – both the canning process and sharing with family, friends and neighbours. Teach skills to the next generation.
- Gifts – nothing beats a homemade jam for a present 🙂
- Prepare for emergencies and/or illness.
- Personal satisfaction. We love creating new flavour combinations that you cannot buy in your local store – and showing how to use canned food in cooking dishes (ie marmalade in a stir-fry)
- Learn more skills ie how to use all of the fruit and reducing food wastage. For example: apples – make apple slices (or pie filling), extract juice from the peels and cores.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃