Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about symptoms, effects, transmission and control of selected diseases. Enjoy the class!
Symptoms, Effects, Transmission and Control of Selected Diseases
|VIRAL DISEASE||ANIMAL AFFECTED||MODE OF TRANSMISSION||SYMPTOMS||CONTROL/PREVENTION|
|FOOT AND MOUTH DISEASE
|Cattle, Sheep and Goat||contact, air-borne, droplets of saliva, infected materials like urine, faeces.||Formation of blisters (skin vesicle filled with serum, watery animal fluid) on the skin, between and around the hooves, inflammation of teats and udder, salivation, loss of weight.||Isolation of infected animals, burning or burying contaminated materials, timely vaccination.|
|Cattle, Sheep and Goat||By contact, contaminated feed and water||High fever, weakness, difficult breathing, blood-stained diarrhoea, high mortality, loss of appetite.||Timely vaccination, isolation of infected animals, restriction of infected animal movement within the farm.|
|Domestic fowl, Turkey, Goose, Ducks and Guinea fowl||Through contaminated feed, water and litter||Sneezing, nasal discharge and difficulty breathing. Lack of appetite and diarrhoea, Paralysis, somersaulting, twisting of the neck, cycling movement||Vaccination, good sanitation, disinfection of poultry building.|
|FOWL POX||Fowl||Through contaminated feeds, water and litter materials||Sores on the combs and wattles||Isolate the infected birds, practice good sanitation measures, apply iodine on the affected parts, adopt routine vaccination|
|Birds||Through faecal, contaminated feeds, water and litter.||Swelling of liver, spleen and kidney. The birds appear dull and sleepy.||Isolate infected birds to maintain good sanitation measure, adopt routine vaccination.|
- Name the causative agent of Newcastle disease
- What are the symptoms?
- How can it be controlled?
- Name 5 viral diseases.
- State the symptoms of fowl pox.
- State the mode of transmission of fowl pox
- List two animals that are affected by rinderpest
Essential Agricultural Science for senior secondary schools by O. A. Iwena, page 383 – 386
- The best control measure for rinderpest disease in cattle is a. sanitation b. isolation c. eradication of infected stock d. vaccination
- The part of the body affected by Newcastle disease of poultry is the a. nervous system and respiratory tract b. digestive and circulatory system c. reproductive and excretory tracts d. air sac and the comb
- The general symptoms of malnutrition in animals include the following except a. retarded growth b. increase in body size c. low production d. susceptibility to disease.
- Newcastle disease affects the following animals except a. goat b. chicken c. turkey d. duck
- Which of the following is not a viral disease? a. Anthrax b. Fowlpox c. Gumburo d. Rinderpest.
1. Consider the following viral disease
- Foot and mouth
2. Name three animals that can be affected by each of the disease listed above.
3. State two major symptoms each of them.
In our next class, we will be talking about Livestock Parasites. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.LEARN TO CODE IN 8 WEEKS. Pay Only ₦25000 To Join Class💃
Access Fun Video Lessons to Pass WAEC, NECO, JAMB, POST-UTME in One Sitting💃