Back to: CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES SS3
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking more about a mission to the gentile. Enjoy the class!
Mission to the Gentile II
The church in the part of Palestine: Lydda and Joppa– Acts 9:32-35, 9:36-46
The church at Lydda and Joppa was established by scattered Christians who settled there after they flee from the persecution in Jerusalem. This territory was successfully evangelized by Philip and later visited by Peter to perform the miracles of healing.
Peter came down to Lydda where he found a man named Aeneas who had been bedridden for eight years and was paralyzed. Peter said to him, “Aeneas, Jesus Christ heals you; rise and make your bed”. And immediately, he arose. And all the residents of Lydda and Sharon saw him, and they turned to the Lord.
At Joppa, there was a disciple called Tabitha or Dorcas. She was full of good works and acts of charity. She died suddenly and was laid in an upper room. The disciples sent two men down to Joppa to entreat Peter who was residing at Lydda to come without delay. Peter followed them to Joppa and was taken to the upper room. He put the weeping disciples outside and knelt and prayed.
Turning to the body he said, “Tabitha, rise” Dorcas opened her eyes and saw Peter, Peter gave her his hands and lifted her. He presented her alive to the saints. Many believed in the Lord and Peter stayed in Joppa for many days with one Simon, a tanner.
- We should obey the great commission like Peter
- With God all things are possible
- Describe the condition of Aeneas before Peter found him at Lydda
- Write briefly about Dorcas.
The church at Caesarea
The vision of Cornelius and Peter
There was a man at Caesarea named Cornelius. He was a centurion at the Italian Cohort. He feared God with his entire household, gave alms liberally to the people, and was constant in prayers. He saw a vision of an angel of God assuring him that his prayers and alms had ascended at a memorial before God. Therefore, he should send men to Joppa to look for one Simon who was called Peter, to come; that he, Peter would tell him what to do.
Peter himself had seen a vision where a container with four-footed unclean animals was brought down from heaven and he heard a voice saying that he should kill and eat. He refused thrice. The meaning there to being an indication that he would receive a message of invitation from a Gentile, that he should exercise no scruples to heed the divine instructions.
- Describe the vision of Cornelius at Caesarea
- How did Peter react to the vision he received?
- What is the meaning of Peter’s vision?
Invitation to Peter and his sermon
Peter followed Cornelius’ messengers and arrived at Caesarea. In the house of Cornelius, he was received warmly and with humility. Cornelius narrated why he sent for him. Peter now realized and perceived that, “God shows no partiality, and that anyone who fears Him is acceptable”. Peter preached the gospel of Jesus Christ to Cornelius’ household bringing out all that Jesus did, how He went about doing good, but whom the Jews hanged and were raised by God, and how they were witnesses to these things.
As Peter was saying these, the Holy Spirit fell on Cornelius and all members of his household; they were all baptized. The Gentiles also received God’s grace. Thus, the church was established in Caesarea. Their race was not a barrier to the coming of the Holy Spirit. This shows that racial segregation or discrimination or apartheid should not be heard of in all Christian communities. Like Peter, we should all be ready to share the message of Christ with others.
Narrate the conversion of Cornelius.
- Narrate the healing of Aeneas.
- Describe the vision of Peter in Joppa.
- Describe the life of Joseph in Potiphar’s house.
- Describe the skills of Joseph as governor of Egypt
Comprehensive Christian Religious Knowledge for SS 1-3 by Martins I. Amaechi, pg 210-215.
- The following are qualities ascribed to Cornelius except for ______. I. Devoted to God II. Feared God III. Prayed constantly to God IV. Collected alms from people. A. I and IV B. IV only C. II and III D. I and II
- “Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God…” who said this and to who? (a) Peter, Cornelius (b) The tanner, Peter (c) An Angel, Cornelius.
- Another name for Dorcas is____. A. Naomi B. Salome C. Jael D. Tabitha.
- One of the following did not happen while Peter was preaching to Cornelius and his household. A. He perceived that God shows no partiality, but in every nation, anyone who fears Him is acceptable to Him B. The Holy Spirit fell on them C. They started healing the sick D. the household of Cornelius gathered.
- Peter was told not to call unclean what God had cleansed implied that___. A. He should exercise no scruples to heed the divine instruction B. He should exercise some scruples to heed to the divine instruction C. He should obey Mosaic Law as a Jew D. He should not enter a Gentile house.
- Describe the qualities of Dorcas.
- Describe the event that took place in Lydda as a result of Peter visit.
In our next class, we will be talking about Opposition to the Gospel Message. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃