Back to: Basic Science Primary 6
HELLO GUYS, WELCOME TO CLASS
What is Reproduction?
Reproduction is the process whereby living things produce new offspring’s of their kind.
The human reproductive system is made up of many parts and organs that collectively function in producing young ones.
The components of the reproductive system in males are considerably different from those of a female.
STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF MALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM
The male reproductive system is made up of:
– testes (singular: testis): They secrete hormone testosterone or androgen which is responsible for bringing about secondary sexual changes in man.
– epididymis: It serves as storage organ for sperm cells.
– vas deference: it transports sperm into the urethra.
– urethra: it is a common passage for both sperm cells and urine coming from the bladder to pass into the penis for ejaculation.
– Penis: it introduces sperm into the vagina of the female.
In summary, the three functions of the male reproductive system is as follows:
- introduction of sperm cells into the female vagina to fertilise the ovum for the formation of zygote;
- production of hormone testosterone which initiates secondary sexual changes; and
iii. production and storage of spermatozoa.
STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF FEMALE REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM
The primary reproductive part of the female organ are the pair of ovaries located at the left and right side just behind the abdomen. The secondary reproductive parts include: the fallopian tube, uterus or womb, vagina and the vulva.
The function of the female reproductive system is as follows:
- Ovaries: it produces eggs.
It release mature eggs at regular intervals of 28-30 days.
- Fallopian tube: it is where fertilization takes place. It holds the mature egg for a period of 3-4 days.
- Uterus: It receives and cares for developing foetus.
- Vagina: It is the outlet from the uterus or womb.
The elastic nature of the vagina allows it to stretch and allow easy passage of baby during birth.
- Identify the parts of the human reproductive system
- Define reproduction.
- Name the main parts of the male reproductive system and state their functions.
- Name the main parts of the female reproductive system and state their functions.
- State your own definition of reproduction.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades on Afrilearn HERE!💃