Back to: Basic Science Primary 6
WELCOME TO CLASS
Meaning of Mineral Resources
Mineral resources are valuable substances which have been deposited naturally underneath the earth.
NOTE: They are removed from the earth by drilling and mining.
TYPES OF MINERAL RESOURCES
- Organic minerals: these are formed from living things.
- Inorganic minerals: these are formed from non-living organisms.
SOURCES AND FORMATION OF MINERAL RESOURCES
|S/N||MINERALS||SOURCE AND FORMATION|
|4||Crude oil||Buried decayed plants, shells, animal and fossils under great pressure below the earth.|
|6||Coal||Buried decayed plants, shells, animal and fossils under great pressure below the earth.|
|7||Common salt||Found in the sea|
IMPORTANCE OF MINERAL RESOURCES
- It brings about economic development.
- It brings about advancement in technology
- It provides job opportunity
- It is used in production of farm tool for agricultural purposes
- It brings foreign investors into the country
- It helps in road construction
- It brings about industrial development.
CONSEQUENCES OF OVER EXPLOITATION OF MINERAL RESOURCES ON ENVIRONMENT
- Difficulty in agriculture
- Extension of some animals
- Extension of some plants
- Conflict over ownership of minerals and sharing of royalties
- Unfriendly environment to human.
- List the mineral resources found in Nigeria and where they can be located.
- Identify mineral resources based on observation characteristics.
- Define mineral resources.
- List five mineral resources found in Nigeria and where they can be located.
- State three consequences of over-exploitable mineral resources on the environment.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades on Afrilearn HERE!💃