Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about high-level languages. Enjoy the class!
This is a process that results in the development of a set of detailed instructions following a pattern of a particular programming language necessary to solve a problem. A programming language is a formal constructed language designed to communicate instructions to a machine, particularly a computer. Programming languages can be used to create programs to control the behaviour of a machine or to express algorithms.
A vocabulary and set of grammatical rules for instructing a computer to perform specific tasks. High-level programming languages, while simple compared to human languages, are more complex than the languages the computer understands, called machine languages. Each different type of CPU has its own unique machine language.
Levels of languages
Each language has a unique set of keywords (words that it understands) and a special syntax for organizing program instructions.
- Machine language
- Low-level language
- High-level language
- Natural level language
- Machine language: This was the first level of language known to man. It involves the use of binary digits i.e. 0s and 1s to write programs and instructions.
- Low-level language: This was the next language developed after the machine language. It involves the use of binary code.
- High-level language: A high-level language has instructions which are similar to the English language. It is very user friendly. It is much easier to understand and write with a program using this language. The greatest advantages of these languages are their independence. A program written in HLL can be used on almost all computers without any change. The instructions written in HLL are also converted into machine language with the help of translators. Interpreter and compiler are two programs used to translate a high-level language into machine language so that the computer can understand it. They are highly developed languages and are currently used by programmers in the world today. It involves the use of English to write programming instructions. The invention of high-level language has made it easy for programmers to develop programs in the shortest possible time.
Some high-level programs
- BASIC: It stands for Beginner’s all-purpose symbolic instruction code. It is a programming language used by beginners
- LOGO: It stands for Language of Graphics Oriented. It is a programming language used to draw different shapes and figure.
- COBOL: It stands for common business-oriented language. This language is specially designed for business application
- FORTRAN: It stands for ‘Formula Translation’. It is one of the oldest high-level languages. This language was designed to solve scientific problems
- C AND C++: They are the general-purpose programming languages popular on minicomputer and microcomputer. They are the most widely used language for developing commercial applications.
- JAVA: Java is a programming language developed to write programs. It helps in creating games and animation and in developing multimedia effect for the internet.
- Programming language ‘FORTRAN’ stands for (a) formula translator (b) formula translation (c) free translator (d) free translation
- A programming language which is used for scientific purposes and language work is to be done in batches is called (a) PASCAL (b) FORTRAN (c) LOGO (d) COMAL
- Programming language ‘COMAL’ stands for (a) Common Algorithmic Language (b) Common Arithmetic Language (c) Common Arithmetic Learning (d) Common Algorithmic Learning
- A programming language which is an extension of ‘BASIC’ is (a) PASCAL (b) COBOL (c) LOGO (d) COMAL
- The programming language used to encourage logical thinking is classified as
(a) PASCAL (b) COBOL (c) LOGO (d) COMAL
In our next class, we will be talking about Overview of Number Bases. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃