Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about the meaning and scope of government. Enjoy the class!
Meaning and Scope of Government
As an introduction to the subject matter, Government, we shall be looking at government from 3 different angles.
Government as an institution of the state;
- It is referred to as the machinery established by the state to organize formulate and implement policies in society.
- Government has 3 major institutions that assist to carry out different responsibilities. These institutions are also known as arms, organs or branches of government as the case may be. They include the Executive, the legislature and the Judiciary.
- The legislature means makers of the law expected to govern with, the executive is those who are saddled with the responsibility of implementation of the made laws and the judiciary interprets the laws.
Government as an art of process of government:
It can also be referred to as a process of administration of a given state. This is because of the activities of a given government involves the procedure specifically laid down in the constitution of the state.
Government as an academic field of study:
Government include the study of political institutions in the state, ideas, values and doctrines about politics for the thinkers on what constitutes the welfare of the people. In the tertiary institutions, government as a study is known as Political science.
Characteristics of Government
- Power: This is the ability to command other people’s behaviour in a certain way or take a particular course of actions irrespective of one’s wishes.
- Law: This is referred to as the body of rules and regulations that conducts the people.
- Revenue: imposition and collection of excise/ duties, taxes, royalties e.t.c. help to generate funds for the government and its running.
- Personal: This refers to the able-bodied men and women who assist the government to implement politics
- Public support: It converts legitimacy on government and it gives authority to rule.
- Provision of social amenities: The responsibility of the government is to provide for the welfare of the people e.g, security, pipe-borne water, roads, schools, hospitals and electricity.
Functions of the government
- To maintain law and order through the activities of law enforcement agencies like the police, civil defence corps and army.
- To protect the people from internal and external attacks.
- It fosters a sense of belonging and unity in the state.
- It settles disputes between individuals, groups and institutions through various courts.
- The government provides social infrastructural facilities for the people.
- It regulates the economy through monetary and fiscal policies.
Importance of studying government
- The government gives political education and equip citizens with thoughtful minds.
- The knowledge of the constitution can enable an individual to defend his freedom.
- Government widens the governmental horizon of the student.
- The knowledge about power and limitation of an officeholder could prevent.
- It gives leadership training to the students.
- Government equips the students to become effective politicians or political advisors.
- Government enables us to know our political environment and how the tasks of the government are carried out.
In our next class, we will be talking about the State and its Features. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.Are you a Parent? Share your quick opinion and win free 2-month Premium Subscription