welcome to class
Transportation is the process by which people, goods and services are moved from one place to another. There are several types of transportation system in Nigeria and around the world.
These include the following:
- By air III. By sea
- By land IV. By rail
Means of Water Transportation in Nigeria
Many people in Nigeria travel on water. People in some communities can only reach or get out of their homes by travelling on water.
There are various means of travelling on water in Nigeria. They include:
- (B) Boats
Problems of water transportation in Nigeria
There are many problems associated with water transportation in Nigeria. These include the following:
- Insufficient number of the means of water transportation such as ships, boats, ferries, etc.
- High cost of engines used to run the boats.
- Lack of spare parts for the engines.
- Storms which cause accidents.
- Overloading of canoes and boats.
- Few harbors that can be used by large ships.
- Poor maintenance of boats, canoes, etc.
- Low level of water in some rivers during the dry season.
Means of air transportation in Nigeria
Generally, there are a very few means of air transportation. In Nigeria, they are:
(a) Helicopters and
Air transportation is the fastest means of travelling, though it is very expensive. Airplanes can only lift and deposit passengers at airports.
Problems of air transportation in Nigeria
The following are some of the problems which face air transportation in Nigeria:
- The airplanes are few and insufficient because they are very expensive
- Airports, the only place where airplanes can take off and land, are
equally very few.
- Air fares are very expensive and only a few people can afford it.
- Air traffic control towers are in poor condition.
- The few airports are not well-maintained.
- The airplanes are not properly maintained as well.
How problems of water and air transportation can be solved
- Ensuring proper maintenance of airplanes and all means of water transportation.
- Regular maintenance of airports and waterways.
- Equipping air traffic control towers properly.
- Providing for, and purchasing more airplanes, boats, canoes, and ferries,
- The government should subsidize the cost of engines used to run boats.
- Developing more airports and harbors so that more aircraft and ships can come in.
- Training more pilots.