Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we are going to explore a thrilling athletic event called the high jump. It’s a contest where athletes try to jump over a high bar without knocking it down. Let’s dive into the exciting world of high jumping!
Athletics – Introduction to High Jump
High Jump Basics:
The high jump is all about leaping over a horizontal bar set at a specific height. The athlete runs toward the bar and uses a technique to go over it. The one who jumps the highest without knocking the bar down wins!
In the high jump, you need some essential equipment:
- The Bar: This is a long, horizontal pole set up between two standards.
- Standards: These are the upright poles that hold the bar.
- Landing Pit: A soft mat or foam pit is placed on the other side of the bar to land safely.
Basic Technique – The Scissor Jump:
In the scissor jump technique, the athlete approaches the bar at an angle and goes over it with their body moving in a scissor-like motion:
- Approach: The athlete starts with a run-up, gaining speed.
- Takeoff: As they reach the bar, they jump off one foot, bringing the other leg up and over.
- Clearance: The athlete tries to go over the bar without touching it.
- Landing: After clearing the bar, they land on the foam pit or mat on the other side.
In high jump competitions, there are specific rules to follow:
- Athletes have three attempts at each height.
- The bar is raised progressively.
- If the athlete knocks the bar down, it’s considered a miss.
- The athlete who clears the highest height wins.
Imagine watching a high jump competition at a sports event. Athletes gracefully run up to the bar, leap into the air, and clear the bar, landing safely on the mat.
Think about practicing the scissor jump in your school’s playground. You can set up a makeshift bar with a stick or rope.
The high jump is a thrilling athletic event that combines speed, agility, and technique. It’s all about how high you can jump over the bar without touching it. As you practice and learn, you can also become a great high jumper one day!
We have come to the end of today’s class. I hope you enjoyed the class!
In the next class, we shall be discussing Sprint race technique.
In case you require further assistance or have any questions, feel free to ask in the comment section below, and trust us to respond as soon as possible. Cheers!
- What is the high jump in athletics, and what’s the main objective of this event?
- Can you name the essential equipment used in high jump competitions?
- Why is it necessary to have a landing pit in high jump competitions?
- What happens when an athlete knocks down the bar during a high jump attempt?
- How is the winner determined in a high jump competition?
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community HERE for exclusive content and support