Welcome to class!
In our previous lesson, we started to explore the stages of high jump. Today, we’ll continue our journey into this thrilling athletic event to cover more important stages and details.
Stages of High Jump II
Additional Stages of High Jump:
Let’s continue breaking down the stages of a high jump:
Bar Knockdown: If the athlete touches the bar while attempting to clear it, the bar may fall. In this case, it’s counted as a miss.
Judging: Trained officials or judges closely watch each jump to determine if it’s a successful clearance or a miss.
Adjusting the Bar: After each successful clearance, the bar is raised to a higher height for the next attempt.
Scissor Jump Variation: In high jump, athletes often use the scissor jump technique or the flop technique. The flop involves arching over the bar headfirst, a technique made famous by famous high jumpers.
Common Mistakes to Avoid:
In high jump, some common mistakes include:
- Not using the correct takeoff technique.
- Not clearing the bar properly and causing it to fall.
- Approaching the bar with too much or too little speed.
- Not arching the body over the bar effectively in the clearance stage.
High jump is a thrilling and challenging sport that requires a combination of skills, speed, technique, and precision. By understanding all the stages involved, you can appreciate the skill and effort that high jump athletes put into this exciting event.
We have come to the end of today’s class. I hope you enjoyed the class!
In the next class, we shall be discussing Meaning and Examples of Ball Game.
In case you require further assistance or have any questions, feel free to ask in the comment section below, and trust us to respond as soon as possible. Cheers!
- What are some common mistakes that high jump athletes should avoid in their approach and clearance of the bar?
- Why is it crucial for athletes to clear the bar effectively and without knocking it down?
- How does the right amount of speed during the approach contribute to a successful high jump?
- Why is proper body arching important in high jump, and what can happen if it’s not done correctly?
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community HERE for exclusive content and support