Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we are going to explore the thrilling sport of high jump and learn about the stages involved in this exciting event.
Stages of High Jump:
The high jump is a contest where athletes try to jump over a horizontal bar set at a specific height. Let’s break down the stages of a high jump:
Approach Run: The athlete starts with a run-up, gaining speed as they approach the bar.
Takeoff: As they reach the bar, they jump off one foot, bringing the other leg up and over.
Clearance: The athlete tries to go over the bar without touching it.
Bar Clearance: The legs clear the bar, while the upper body arches to make room for the legs.
Peak Height: The athlete reaches the highest point in their jump, usually above the bar.
Descent: After clearing the bar, the athlete starts descending towards the landing pit.
Landing: The athlete lands safely in the foam pit or on the mat.
In high jump competitions, you need specific equipment:
The Bar: This is a long, horizontal pole set up between two standards.
Standards: These are the upright poles that hold the bar.
Landing Pit: A soft mat or foam pit is placed on the other side of the bar for a safe landing.
In high jump competitions, there are specific rules to follow:
- Athletes have three attempts at each height.
- The bar is raised progressively.
- If the athlete knocks the bar down, it’s considered a miss.
- The athlete who clears the highest height without knocking the bar down wins.
Imagine watching a high jump competition at a sports event. Athletes gracefully run up to the bar, leap into the air, clear the bar, and land safely on the mat.
Think about practicing high jump at your school’s playground. You can set up a makeshift bar with a stick or rope.
High jump is a thrilling sport that requires speed, agility, and technique. By understanding the stages of the high jump and practicing, you can become a successful high jumper!
We have come to the end of today’s class. I hope you enjoyed the class!
In the next class, we shall be discussing more about Stages of high jump.
In case you require further assistance or have any questions, feel free to ask in the comment section below, and trust us to respond as soon as possible. Cheers!
- Can you name and describe the different stages involved in a high jump?
- Why is it important for athletes to have an approach run before the high jump?
- What happens during the takeoff phase in a high jump, and why is it a critical moment?
- How do athletes ensure they clear the bar without knocking it down in the clearance stage?
- Describe the landing phase in the high jump. Why is it important to have a soft mat or foam pit for landing?
For more class notes, videos, homework help etc download our Mobile App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community HERE for exclusive content and support