Back to: CIVIC EDUCATION SS3
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about citizenship education. Enjoy the class!
A citizen is a legally recognized member of a politically organized society known as a state. A citizen is simply defined as a legal member of a state or country.
Citizenship education is the process of imparting information about citizen’s status, rights and duties into citizens with a view of making them understand the level of relationship expected of them in the state. It also involves the process of learning the skills, attitude and knowledge of participating in the affairs of a state or country to which you belong.
- Who is a citizen?
- Define citizenship education.
Goals of citizenship education
- It helps citizens to develop consciousness of their legal status in a state and give them the patriotic zeal to serve their state and humanity in general.
- It helps citizens to acquire adequate knowledge about their rights and duties in their society.
- Citizenship education teaches citizens values important to make them better individuals in society. These values include honesty, selflessness, discipline, tolerance etc.
- It also informs citizens about political matters and affairs of the state they belong to.
- It enlightens citizens on political participation and its importance in sustaining democracy.
- It exposes citizens to the prevailing problems facing the society such as HIV/AIDS, economic meltdown, global warming etc. It also broadens their knowledge on ways of solving these problems.
- It provides citizens with ways of promoting social, cultural, moral and economic development.
- What is citizenship education?
- Explain at least five benefits of citizenship education.
Fundamentals of Civic Education for Senior Secondary Schools Book 3, Sola Akinyemi. Pgs. 1-6.
- What is nationalism?
- State five roles of government to its citizens.
In our next class, we will be talking about the Limitations of Human Rights. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃