Back to: CIVIC EDUCATION SS3
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about community service. Enjoy the class!
This is the service we offer or render at free will. They are activities people engage in to develop their society, and thereby make life better for themselves and other members of the society.
Community service which is an act of charity to others can be done individually or in a group. A very good means through which the youths are made to engage in community development service in Nigeria is the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).
NYSC was established by decree number 24 on 22nd May 1973 by the then military head of state General Yakubu Gowon, shortly after the civil war that ended in the year 1970. General Yakubu Gowon established the NYSC as part of his policy of reconstruction, rehabilitation and reconciliation. With the NYSC scheme, corps members are posted to different states in Nigeria and they have participated in community development service through their various community development service (CDS) groups.
- Define community service.
- What was the aim of establishing NYSC?
Community service exists in various forms
- Beautification of the environment.
- Cleaning of the environment.
- Cleaning drainages and buying wastebasket.
- Voluntary work in orphanage homes.
- Tree planting.
- Hospital voluntary work.
- Donating of blood for accident victims.
- Joining the vigilante group to provide security in your community.
- Assisting the less privileged such as widows, orphans etc.
- Help the old people and the blind when crossing roads.
Importance of community service
- It helps to promote national integration.
- It serves as a platform to train leaders.
- With community service, a citizen can manifest his/her good values towards making other peoples’ lives better.
- It improves national growth and development.
- It creates a sense of responsibility in individuals and society at large.
- What is community service?
- Explain the importance of community service.
- Define community service.
- How can you engage in community services in your environment?
- What is integrity?
- Mention three qualities of a person with integrity.
- Define national integration.
Fundamentals of Civic Education for Senior Secondary Schools Book 3, Sola Akinyemi.
Explain five importance of community service in developing society.
In our next class, we will be talking about Citizenship Education. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃
1 thought on “Community Service”
This is nice. Keep up the good work.👍👍