Back to: AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE JSS3
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about branding. Enjoy the class!
Branding: definition, advantages and disadvantages
- Definition of Branding
- Advantages of Branding
- Disadvantages of Branding
Definition of branding
This is the activity of giving a particular name and lineage to goods and services so that people will be attracted to them and want to buy them.
Advantages of branding
- It helps in easy identification of the agricultural product.
- It helps the buyer to easily remember what they want to buy.
- The producer may enjoy some forms of monopoly when goods are branded.
- It adds a measure of prestige to the product.
- It helps in the maintenance of quality.
- Prevention of product adulteration.
- It helps to increase sales (turn over) of farm produce.
Disadvantages of branding
- It increases the cost of production.
- Some products are difficult to brand e.g. vegetables and fruits.
- It causes confusion among consumers.
- Producers do find it difficult to maintain consistent quality.
- What is branding?
- List three advantages of branding.
- Give a list three disadvantages of branding.
- List five materials used in packaging.
- List two purposes of advertisement.
Branding is a marketing technique used by businesses to create the desired image for a product or company in the minds of the consumer. Examples can demonstrate to small business owners how to use branding effectively for their enterprise.
Branding often takes the form of a recognizable symbol to which consumers easily identify, such as a logo. Common examples include the Nike “swoosh,” the golden arches of McDonald’s and the apple used by Apple Computers. Logos typically appear on all products in some form and are used in advertising and promotional campaigns. The most successful symbols allow consumers to identify a product or company even if the name is not visible.
Like symbols, slogans build a brand image. Slogans are successfully used in industries such as insurance to make consumers associate insurers with trust, such as “Hypo go wipe,” “Cowbell, our milk” and “Peak! it’s in you” As with well-known logos, successful slogans become ingrained in the minds of consumers and may remain there for as long as the company stays in business.
Companies can use branding to differentiate themselves from the competition. For instance, a business can position itself as being an innovator, indicating that its competitors offer the same products or services it has been providing for years. In a time where environmental concerns are important to consumers, a business can also attempt to brand itself as operating more cleanly and efficiently than the competition. Another common technique is to use branding to create an image of always offering the lowest prices.
Junior Secondary Agriculture for Nigeria Schools, book 3, pages 20-24
- What is branding?
- (a) List three advantage of branding
(b) List two disadvantage of branding
In our next class, we will be talking about the Pricing of agricultural produce. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.Your Opinion Matters! Quickly tell us how to improve your Learning Experience HERE
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!