Welcome to today’s class!!
We are thrilled to have you in our class!!
In today’s Physical and Health Education class, we will be learning about Competitive Sports
In competitive sports, the focus is usually on intramural and extramural sports. What comes to your mind when you hear this? Join me in finding out!
Intramural means operating within the walls of a single institution or community. You know how exciting it can be to play games during sports activities in school, consider this to be those sports activities by adults in the University.
Intramural sports programs are often organized on college campuses to promote competition and fun among students and teachers.
For most schools and campuses, intramural sports are used to promote wellness and allow students who do not compete on a national level an opportunity to be active.
Some of the intramural sports include:
- American Flag Football
- Soccer (Football)
- Volleyball (Outdoor & Indoor)
On the other hand, extramural means operating outside the walls, and extramural sports involve competitions with teams outside of your institution or school.
Some consider extramural activities a must for school and college individuals as it prepares them for life as much as academics do.
Here are some reasons why extramural sports activities are considered important:
- Promotes bodily growth – School and college-going individuals are growing both mentally and physically. Indulging in extramural activities involves a lot of physical activity which is excellent for the bodily growth of young people.
- Good for mental health – Staying cooped up in classrooms all the time can be mentally stifling and allowing students to get some exercise outdoors by way of extramural activities is good for their mental health and well-being.
- Promotes social bonding and teamwork – Outdoor activities like playing games or indulging in sports often involve teamwork and intense social interaction which helps young people learn about the all-important skills of social bonding and teamwork.
- Leads to abiding interests – Participating in outdoor activities often leads to children developing abiding interests in sports and other activities.
In summary, whether it is intramural sports which involves activities coordinated within the walls of a single institution or community, or extramural sports carried out outside the school or institution, it is important to remember that competitive sports aim to bring people together.
- What do you understand about Competitive Sports?
- Give three examples of Intramural Sports
Define Intramural Sports.
Give five examples of extramural sports and two carried out in Nigeria.
We hope you enjoyed today’s class. In our next class, we will be talking about tournaments.
Let us know your thoughts and questions in the comment section, and we will attend to them as fast as we can.For more class notes, videos, homework help etc download our Mobile App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community HERE for exclusive content and support