Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Basic Technology class, We will be discussing Different Materials and their common Uses. We hope you enjoy the class!
MATERIALS AND THEIR COMMON USES (Wood, Metal, Ceramics/Glass, Rubber and Plastics)
Materials are substances from which other things can be made.
USES OF WOOD
- Wood is used for furniture making e.g. Chair, Shelves, Bed frame, Cabinets, Wardrobe, and Cupboard etc.
- Wood is used for building construction e.g. windows, door, door frames, window frames, ceiling and roofing of houses.
- It is used for industrial packaging of goods e.g. bottled drinks, machine spare parts etc.
- It is used in the transportation industry for making bodies of lorries, boat, ship, railways, and others.
- It is used for paper and pulp production e.g. paper for printing book, magazines, calendars, newspapers etc.
- It is used for electric poles
- It is used for making sports equipment such as hockey sticks, bats and others.
- It is used for carving and sculpture.
USES OF METALS
- Metals are used for building and bridge construction.
- Metals are used for making of household utensils.
- Metals are used for making aircraft bodies.
- Metals are used for making propellers, machine parts and engines frames.
- Metals are used for making electrical wires e.g. Aluminum and copper.
- Metals are used for making decoration materials, ammunition shells and bombshells.
USES OF CERAMICS
- Ceramics are used for making baking ovens.
- Ceramics are used for furnace construction.
- Ceramics are used for making artworks and sculptural works e.g. flower case.
- They are used for manufacturing electrical insulators e.g. spark plugs.
- They are used for kitchen wares e.g. pots, dishes, cups and plates.
- Ceramics are used for making materials used for building construction. E.g. bricks, cement blocks, wash hand basins, toilet bowls and sinks, clay tiles.
USES OF GLASS
- Glass is used for making bottles, bulbs, flower vases, tumblers, doors and windows.
- Glass is used for making eyeglasses, magnifying glasses and binoculars.
- Glass is used for making mirrors, windscreens of vehicles, television screens and computer screens.
USES OF PLASTICS
- Plastics are used in the production of household containers, kitchenware handles etc.
- Plastics are used for light shades, aircraft parts.
- Plastics are used for ropes, fishing lines, electrical mouldings and engineering components bearing.
- Plastics are used for glass-reinforced plastics boat and car bodies.
- Plastics are added to greases and oil to improve their lubricating properties.
USES OF RUBBER
- Tires: This one is obvious! Today, automobile tires are made up of 50% natural rubber, and tires used for aircraft are made out of 100% natural rubber.
- Airbags: Rubber is used to produce airbags that protect riders from injury after high-impact accidents have occurred.
- Flooring: Many gyms, commercial kitchens, animal shelters, and even playgrounds are choosing rubber as the material from which to create their flooring.
- Erasers: Joseph Priestly, in 1770, discovered that the product could “rub” away marks made from pencils on paper, thus giving the material its name and sparking the production of erasers.
- Clothing: In its fibrous form, natural rubber forms elastic which is used to produce tight-fitting and expandable clothing such as wetsuits and cycling shorts.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Geometrical Construction – Lines. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Are you a Parent? Share your quick opinion and win free 2-month Premium Subscription