Back to: SOCIAL STUDIES JSS1
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about socialization. Enjoy the class!
Socialization is the act of acquiring new behaviour through interacting with other members of society and by learning from others. It is a process by which a member of a group is made to learn and acquire the knowledge of how to live in a group or society.
Importance of socialization
Benefits of socialization include:
- It teaches the way of life of the extended family.
- It teaches the culture of the extended family.
- Socialization teaches family integrity, reputation, goodwill, etc.
- It teaches the gainful use of time and leisure
- It promotes the spirit of hard work in people.
- Socialization promotes peace and unity among people.
- It helps new members of the society to acquire acceptable values, attitudes that will help them to fit in the society.
- It helps in making people responsible in society.
Stages of socialization
- Childhood or primary socialization
- Adulthood or secondary socialization
Childhood socialization: It takes place in the family, it occurs in the early stage of a child’s life. It lays the basis for the secondary socialization.
Adulthood or secondary socialization: It is the continuation of primary socialization; it sets in later in one’s life in the school, church or mosque.
Process of socialization
Process of socialization refers to ways through which socialization takes place which includes:
- Direct learning: This involves the use of words of the mouth in teaching a child or group of persons
- Incidental learning: This learning occurs when a child learns from things that are not planned.
- Learning from models: This learning occurs when a child or a mature individual learns by observing and Imitating people around him.
- Role learning: This learning takes place when an individual learns to perform the duties assigned to him in society.
Agents of socialization
- The family
- The school
- The peer group/age group.
- The mass media
- The church/mosque/shrine.
This is the first agent of socialization. Some of the things the child learns in the family are:
- Good morals, attitudes, and behaviour are acceptable in society.
- Religious belief.
- The food, language, and greetings of his people.
- Interacting with other members of the family
The teachers are trained to perform the following duties in the socialization process of the child.
- Impart technical knowledge and skills that would help the child to survive in society.
- Helps the child acquire the right attitudes and values.
- Instil discipline in the individual.
- Acts as models to the pupils and students.
The Peer/Age Group:
An individual that has made a good choice of friends, will develop the following habits.
- Studying hard.
- Speaking politely
An individual who has made the wrong choice of friends by keeping a company with a bad peer group may develop any of the following traits.
The Mass Media:
The following are some of the things which people learn from the mass media.
- People learn what is happening around them and in other parts of the world.
- People learn about foreign cultures.
- They learn songs, dance steps, and fashion.
The roles of these institutions are as follows:
- They help in reforming people through their sermons.
- They help promote peace, tranquillity, and love.
- Helps to promote justice and fair play.
- They engage in charity work such as visiting motherless babies’ homes.
Effect of socialization
- A sense of responsibility
- Lying and general dishonest
- Disrespect to elders
In our next class, we will be talking about Common Crimes. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better? - CLICK to Tell Us Now!
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades on Afrilearn HERE!💃