Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Christain Religious Studies class, We will be discussing the Coming of the Holy Spirit. We hope you enjoy the class!
- The Coming of The Holy Spirit (Acts 2: 1-39)
- Significance of The Coming of The Holy Spirit
THE COMING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
On the day of Pentecost, the disciples of Jesus Christ were in the upper room in Jerusalem praying when the Holy Ghost came upon them. While they were together praying, a sound suddenly came from heaven like the rush of a mighty wind and filled the house. Then the Holy Spirit descended like a tongue of fire and rested on each of them. Consequently, they were filled with the Holy Spirit and they began to speak in different languages.
At that time, the Jews and many other people from various culture, countries and languages were living in Jerusalem. Each of these people was able to hear the disciples speaking his own language. Some were amazed and mistook the disciples for drunkards. They were amazed about how the disciples who were Galileans could be speaking in so many languages including the languages of the Parthians, Medes, Elamites, Phrygia, Egypt and parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene. These were all visitors from Rome, Crete and Arabia who were undoubtedly overwhelmed and were marvelled at the wonderful work of God.
The coming of the Holy Spirit greatly influenced the disciples who were now called the apostles. They gained boldness and were filled with extraordinary power and courage to witness Jesus Christ without fear and trembling. Peter was the first to address the people. He explained to them that the apostles were not drunk and that it was just the third hour of the day. He went further by saying that what they saw was the fulfilment of the prophecy of Prophet Joel.
Peter thereafter preached the gospel of Jesus Christ and about three thousand people gave their lives to Christ and became members of the church.
- Explain the coming of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost as it occurred in stages.
- Discuss the changes that occurred in the lives of the apostles after the coming of the Holy Spirit.
THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE COMING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- It showed that God is faithful to keep to His promise.
- The coming of the Holy Spirit changed the perspectives of the apostles about their belief.
- The Holy Spirit empowered them to preached the gospel.
- The Holy Spirit gave them boldness and courage’
- He came to power, credibility and relevance to the church of Jesus Christ in the collective relationship with God.
- He came to give spiritual gifts to the body of Christ.
- The coming of the Holy Spirit marked the beginning of the Church of Jesus Christ.
- It showed that without Holy Spirit Christians are nothing.
- He brought the presence of God to mankind.
- He brought a restoration of lost hope to mankind.
- Discuss five significance of the Holy Spirit.
- Mention five things the Holy Spirit will never do.
- Discuss the work of the Holy Spirit to modern Christian.
- Explain the promise of the coming of the Holy Spirit by Prophet Joel.
- Discuss the relevance of the Pentecost and the feast of Passover to the early believers.
- How did the non-believers react to the coming of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost?
- Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS. BK 3, by T.N.O Quarcoopome et al. Chapter 1 pages 21-23.
- Christian Religious Knowledge for JSS BK 3, by Adeyinka, .et al Chapter 1 page 3.
- The coming of the Holy Spirit was on the day of (a) Passover (b) Papacy (c) Pentecost (d) Power
- The apostles spoke in different tongues because (a) they were with filled the joy of the coming of the Holy Spirit (b) they were filled with the Holy tongues (c) they were filled with Holy Spirit (d) they were filled with new Spirit
- How many days after the feast of Passover was the Pentecost? (a) 40 (b) 50 (c) 60 (d) 12
- How many disciples were in the upper room? (a) 12 (b) 11 (c) about 120 (d) 500
- Most of the apostles were from the city of (a) Galilee (b) Cyrene (c) Greece (d) Judea
- Highlight five things the Holy Spirit can do in the life of a Christian.
- How does the Holy Spirit help Christians to overpower the devil?
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about The Effect of the Holy Spirit on the Early Disciples. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃