Welcome to SS2!
We are eager to have you join us in class!!
In today’s Computer Science class, We will be discussing Computer Hardware. We hope you enjoy the class!
OVERVIEW OF COMPUTER HARDWARE
This refers to the physical elements or the equipment of the computer. Examples are keyboard, monitor, mouse and processing unit. Computer hardware is the physical parts or components of a computer, such as a monitor, mouse, keyboard, computer data storage, hard disk drive (HDD), system unit (graphic cards, sound cards, memory, motherboard and chips), and so on, all of which are physical objects that can be touched (that is, they are tangible).
Components of computer hardware
- System unit
- Processing unit
- Storage devices
- Input devices are hardware devices which take information from the user of the computer system, convert it into electrical signals and transmit it to the processor. The primary function of input devices is to allow humans to interact with the computer system. For instance, a mouse allows the user to control the movement of the pointer (a common element in user interface design).
- Output devices take data from the computer system and convert it into a form that can be interpreted by humans. For instance, a monitor creates a visual electronic display to output information created by the processor to the user.
- System Unit – Box-like case that contains the electronic circuits that cause the processing of data to occur. Part of the computer system where the computing is done. This is where the computer programs are executed and the data is manipulated. It consists of the Central Processing Unit (CPU), memory (Random Access Memory-RAM), and other electronics.
- Processing devices are the components responsible for the processing of information within the computer system. This includes devices such as the CPU, memory and motherboard.
- Storage devices are components which allow data to be stored within a computer system. This includes devices such as hard disk drives and compact disk drives.
Basic input services
- Printer etc.
Other parts of the computer.
- Arithmetic/logic unit
- Contains the electronic circuitry necessary to perform arithmetic and logical operations on data.
- Communications Devices
- Enable a computer to connect to other computers. Devices that enable a computer to connect to other components; includes modems and network interface cards.
- Control Unit
- The component in any computing system that works in coordinating with the central processing unit to instruct, maintain and control the flow of information.
- Central Processing Unit (CPU)
- The component in any computing system that represents the circuitry necessary to interpret and execute program instructions, it consists of the Control Unit, arithmetic/logic unit and the controller. It is the corollary to the brain in organic systems.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Computer Input Devices. We are very much eager to meet you there.For more class notes, homework help, exam practice, download our App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community for exclusive content and support HERE