Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Computer Science class, We will be learning about Handling Files. We hope you enjoy the class!
A file is abstract; to define a file properly we need to consider the operation that can be performed on the files. There are six basic file operations that can be performed by the OS. The OS can provide system calls to create, write, read, re-position, delete and truncate files. All information in a file is always in binary form or a series of ones and zeros. A document includes any file you have created. It can be a true text document, sound file, graphics, images, or any other type of information the computer can create, store, or size from the internet.
Files: As we know that Computers are used for storing the information for a Permanent Time or the Files are used for storing the Data of the users for a Long time Period. And the files can contain any type of information means they can Store the text, any Images or Pictures or any data in any Format. So that there must be Some Mechanism those are used for Storing the information, Accessing the information and also Performing Some Operations on the files.
- Creating a file: Two steps are necessary to create a file.
- Space in the file system must be found for the file.
- An entry for the new file must be made in the directory.
2. Writing a file: To write a file, we make a system call specifying both the name of the file and the information to be written in the file. The system must keep a write pointer to the location in the file where the next write is to take place.
3. Deleting a file: To delete a file, we search the directory for the named file. Having found the associated directory entry, we release all file spaces so that it can be re-used by other files and erase the directory entry.
The basic file operations are:
- Create – making a new file
- Delete – removal of a file
- Retrieve – to find and bring back a file
- Copy – to reproduce and original piece of work
- View – to see a file in a folder
- Update – to make changes to a document or design
- Open – to open an already created file for the purpose of editing
- Close – to close a file when done with it.
We can Also Link a File with any other File. These are also called as the Symbolic Links, in the Symbolic Links all the files are linked by using Some Text or Some Alias.
When a user clicks on the Special text or on the Alias then this will open that Linked File. So that we can say that the Files are linked With each other by using Some Names and by using Some Locations.
These are Also Called as the Symbolic Links and always remember that when we remove the Link from the System then this will not an effect on the Actual file Means the Original File will be Kept Save into the Locations.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will continue learning about how to Handle Computer Files. We are very much eager to meet you there.
LEARN TO CODE IN 8 WEEKS. Pay Only ₦25000 To Join Class💃
Access Fun Video Lessons to Pass WAEC, NECO, JAMB, POST-UTME in One Sitting💃