Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Agricultural Science class, We will be learning about Farm Planning. We hope you enjoy the class!
MEANING AND IMPORTANCE OF FARM PLANNING
Farm planning is a drawing or outline of a farmstead in order to put the land into use for which is best suited.
IMPORTANCE OF FARM PLANNING
- It enables the farmer to make proper use of land.
- It ensures proper siting of certain buildings or structures in certain locations within farmstead.
- It ensures the location of livestock building in relation to other farm building.
- It promotes neatness and prevents pollution within farmstead.
Farm stead can be defined as a farmhouse and all its production and processing structures.
Farm stead is both a home and a production centre.
FACTORS INFLUENCING THE SITING OF FARMS OR FARMSTEAD
These factors include:
- Soil type
- Water supply
- Health /Hygiene
- Nearest to market
REASONS FOR PLANNING FARMSTEAD
- It allows for the proper utilization of resources without wastage.
- It makes farmer be more responsive to market demand.
- It encourages the efficiency of farm activities.
- It makes coordination and control of farm operation easier.
PRINCIPLE OF FARMSTEAD LAYOUT
- Plant crops on the best soil within the farm.
- Livestock building should be located in the poorest soil within the farm.
- Buildings should be located in easily accessible areas.
- Farm buildings should not be located on a slope to avoid erosion.
- Residential and office buildings should be located far away from livestock building to avoid noise and unpleasant smells.
- What is farm planning?
- List five factors influencing the siting of farmstead or farm.
CALCULATIONS OF AREA OF FARMLAND AND PLANT POPULATION
- What farm survey?
- List five surveying equipment and state their uses.
- What is farmstead?
- List five factors influencing the siting of a farmstead.
- List five factors coupled implements.
Essential Agricultural Science for Senior Secondary Schools by O.A. Iwena, Chapter 22, pages 214 – 222
- (a) What is farm surveying?
(b) List four surveying equipment and state their uses.
- (a) Define a farmstead.
(b) Enumerate the importance of farm surveying and planning in agriculture.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be learning about Irrigation and Farm Drainage. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃