Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Agricultural Science class, We will be learning about Diseases of Crops. We hope you enjoy the class!
GENERAL EFFECTS OF DISEASE ON CROP PRODUCTION
- Diseases generally reduce the yield of crops
- They reduce the quality of crops
- They can cause the malformation of parts of plants
- They can kill or cause the death of a whole plant
- They cause a reduction in the income of a farmer
WAYS BY WHICH DISEASE SPREADS ON CROP FARM
- By rain splash
- Through the use of contaminated equipment
- The use of infected planting materials
- Wind blowing pathogens to other crops
- Through animals
- Through insect vectors
- Through visitors to the farm
- Through weeds
GENERAL CONTROL OF CROP PLANT DISEASES
- Cultural method: the use of crop rotation, planting of resistant varieties, tillage practice, regular weeding, pruning etc. to control or prevent disease
- Biological control: this is the use of the natural enemy of the disease to reduce or totally eliminate the disease
- Chemical control: this involves the use of pesticides such as fungicides, nematicides, insecticides to prevent disease or control disease.
- What are pathogens?
- List two examples of pathogens.
- List three physiological factors that make plants susceptible to diseases.
- List five airborne disease of crops.
Revision question 6 and 9 in Essential Agricultural Science for Senior Secondary Schools by O. A Iwena chapter 26, page 247.
- What is a disease?
- List disease pathogens
2 Discuss briefly the cassava mosaic disease under the following headings
- Casual organism B. Transmission C. Symptoms D. Control
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be learning about Pest of Crops. We are very much eager to meet you there.
For more class notes, homework help, exam practice, download our App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community for exclusive content and support HERE