Welcome to class.
Plants are living things. They form part of our environment. Living things are organisms that possess the characteristics of life, such as movement, respiration, nutrition, irritability, growth, excretion, reproduction and death. These characteristics distinguish them from non- living things, i.e non- living things do not possess any of the characteristics.
Plants are regarded as living things because of the following reasons:
- Plants cannot move around like animals, but they still show movements: shoots grow; leaves turn toward the Sun. This is called Movement
- Plant can reproduce
- The gaseous wastes, oxygen, carbon dioxide and water vapour are removed through stomata of leaves and lenticels of stems. This is called EXCRETION.
- Plants make their food through the process of photosynthesis using light energy to make sugars from carbon dioxide and water. This is NUTRITION
5. Seeds grow into plants, when water is present. This is called GROWTH
6. Plants respond to sunlight, touch and to chemicals in the environment. This is called IRRITABILITY
7. Plants take in oxygen through the root hair to produce, water, carbon dioxide and energy which helps the plant to grow. This is called RESPIRATION.
8. Plant dies when it stops to respire. This is called DEATH
- Which of the following is not a characteristic of plant? (a) reading (b) irritability (c) death (d) respiration.
- What happens when plants stop to respire (a) it grows (b) it dies (c) it grows (d) it reproduces
- State 4 reasons why plants are living things
We have come to the end of the class. If you have any question ask using the comment box. see you in the next class.Everybody SCREAM💃 ClassNotes evolving to Afrilearn! Get ready for a world-class learning experience🎊