Back to: GEOGRAPHY SS2
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about environmental resources. Enjoy the class!
Meaning of Environmental Resources
Environmental Resources are those organic and inorganic natural materials which are of great value to man, animals and plants
Major forms of environmental resources
- Atmosphere resources: They are those resources in the atmosphere example solar energy, wind, gases, rainwater etc.
Importance of atmosphere resources
Gases: this include oxygen, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, water vapour
- Oxygen is used by plants and animals for respiration. It also supports burning of materials. Oxygen supports human life and also combines with water (oxidation) for chemical weathering and is also used for industrial purposes
- Carbon dioxide is required by the plant for photosynthesis. Carbon dioxide combines with water to produce chemical weathering (carbonation). Green plants also take in carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide absorbs heat to control the atmospheric temperature in the carbon cycle
- Nitrogen is required by plants for the manufacture of proteins. It combines with water to provide food for plant growth. Nitrogen in the soil can be converted to nitrate in the soil. Nitrogen gas is used in the electrical industry
- Water vapour is important for rain formation. The resultant of rain is used by plants and animals in the process of chemical weathering. Water vapour moderates atmospheric temperature
- Mineral resources: They are mineral content in rock (ores). Examples are gold, silver, gems, metals, petroleum, coal, etc.
Importance of mineral resources
- It serves as a source of fuel
- It is used for construction purposes
- It is used for industrial purposes
- It is used as a source of foreign exchange
- It serves as a provider of employment
- It serves as the provision of raw materials for industries
- Water resources: These are resources contained in natural water bodies example aquatic life like fish, water, minerals like potash and petroleum
- Vegetation resources: These are resources from the forest example timber, cash crop, tourism etc.
- Human resources: These are resources which have to do with human intelligence. Human coordinate other resources for productivity
Some importance of Environmental resources to man
- Mineral resources provide raw materials for industries
- Human resources are the basis for labour supply
- Atmospheric resources help in the supply of solar energy
- Water resources also provide hydroelectric power
- Vegetative resources provide food for man
In our next class, we will be talking about Renewable and Non-renewable Resources. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃