Back to: BUSINESS STUDIES JSS1
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about the need for monitoring and control of chemical. Enjoy the class!
Need for Monitoring and Control of Chemical
Meaning of chemicals
Chemicals are compounds or substances that are artificially prepared or purified. Chemicals are substances used in chemistry or produced by a chemical reaction or process. Chemicals can be solid, liquid or gas. Examples are ice, gold, petrol, water, salt, cooking gas etc. They can be grouped into suitable and unsuitable chemicals.
Chemicals Suitable for use and not Suitable for use
- Suitable Chemicals: A chemical is considered to be suitable when its use does not bring any bad (or negative) effect on health or pose danger to lives and properties. Examples are flavourings, spices and preservatives for foods.
- Unsuitable Chemicals: A chemical is said to be unsuitable when its use leads to adverse effects on lives, property and environment. Examples are caustic acids, ammonia, cyanide, etc.
Need for monitoring and controlling food, drugs, and chemicals
- To check if they are not harmful to the body.
- To check if they are consumable.
- To check if they are not contaminated by germs, fungus and other harmful things.
- To ensure they will not kill when consume.
Ways of controlling chemicals
The risk control measure that has the greatest level of effectiveness is elimination. Before any other control measures are considered, elimination must be applied first. Elimination is the method of totally removing a hazard or hazardous practice from the workplace. Some examples of eliminating the use of a hazardous chemical in the workplace include:
- Eliminating the use of chemical adhesive by using fasteners such as screws or nails.
- Eliminating the use of flammable forklift gas by using electric power forklifts instead of LPG powered forklifts.
If it’s not possible to substitute the use of a hazardous chemical with another chemical that is less hazardous, you must then isolate the hazardous chemical from people and other incomparable substance. This can be done in a number of ways. For example; if one part of a manufacturing process involves the use of a hazardous chemical, you could build a ventilated enclosure over this part of the manufacturing process. This enclosure would stop the airborne contaminants from this area moving into other areas of the manufacturing facility where people are present.
The airborne contaminants that are generated inside this enclosure should be vented to the outside atmosphere in a safe location where people do not congregate. If large quantities of hazardous chemicals are stored in the workplace, you could isolate these hazardous chemicals from people by storing them outdoors in a compliant chemical storage control. Isolating hazardous chemicals from people by storing them outdoors reduces the risk of harm to people in the event of a workplace fire or chemical spill.
Hazardous substances must also be isolated from other incompatible substances. If incompatible substances mix, it can result in violent chemical reactions that can harm people and property. Incompatible hazardous substances can be isolated by storing them in separate chemical storage cabinets and dangerous goods storage containers.
3. Engineering controls:
If isolation cannot be achieved, you can implement several engineering controls to reduce the risk associated with hazardous chemicals. Engineering controls are physical and are devices or processes that eliminate exposure to hazardous chemicals. Engineering controls can be used to:
- Minimize the generation of hazardous chemicals
- Suppress or contain chemicals.
- Limit the area of contamination in the event of spills
Effects of lack of monitoring of chemicals
- It can lead to loss of life
- It might cause sickness.
- Organ damage.
- The weakening of the immune system.
- Development of allergies or asthma.
- Reproductive problems and birth defects.
- Effects on the mental, intellectual or physical development of children.
- Can cause cancer.
In our next class, we will be talking about Introduction to Bookkeeping. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.Your Opinion Matters! Quickly tell us how to improve your Learning Experience HERE
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
1 thought on “Need for Monitoring and Control of Chemical ”
Thank you for this