Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about Nigeria: power resources. Enjoy the class!
Nigeria: Power Resources
Power resources in Nigeria
There are four major sources of power in Nigeria. These sources of power are:
- Natural Gas
Hydro-electric power (H.E.P.): This is the power generated by water. Examples of H.E.P. projects in Nigeria are found in Kainji Dam on River Niger and Shiroro Dam on River Kaduna.
Thermal power: This is the power generated through the use of coal, natural gas and petroleum. These minerals are used to power turbine or giant generators in other to generate electricity.
The following are places where thermal plants are in Nigeria:
THERMAL PLANT STATE FOUND TYPE OF FUEL USED
- Egbin Lagos Petroleum
- Ijora Lagos petroleum
- Sapele Delta Gas
- Oji Anambra Coal
- Mention the places where thermal plants are found.
- State the sources of power in Nigeria.
Effects of climate on the dam
- Inadequate rainfall reduces the volume of water in the rivers or dams.
- Excessive rainfall also leads to overflow of water from the dams.
- High intensity of rainfall leads to sedimentation of silts in dams.
- Intensive heat also leads to high evaporation of water from dams.
- What are the sources of power in Nigeria?
- Water is used to generate which type of power?
- The power generated from petroleum is called_______
- Mention the places where thermal plants exist in Nigeria.
- Lake kainji is on which river?
Essential Geography, O.A. Iwena Pages 257-258.
- State five problems affecting dams.
- Give five economic importance of dams.
We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.Are you a Parent? Share your quick opinion and win free 2-month Premium Subscription