Back to: GOVERNMENT SS2
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about Nigeria People’s Party (N.P.P), Great Nigeria People’s Party (G.N.P.P.), People’s Redemption Party (P.R.P.), Nigeria Advance Party (N.A.P). Enjoy the class!
UNITED MIDDLE BELT CONGRESS (UMBC)
The United Middle Belt Congress was founded in 1955 under the leadership of late J.S. Tarka. The party concentrated its political activities in the middle belt and demanded the creation of a middle belt region out of the Northern region.
NORTHERN ELEMENT PROGRESSIVE UNION (NEPU)
The Northern Element Progressive Union was formed in August 1950 under the leadership of Late Mallam Aminu Kano. The political party was both radical and democratic.
POLITICAL PARTIES IN THE SECOND REPUBLIC
THE NATIONAL PARTY OF NIGERIA (NPN)
The NPN was officially launched in September 1978 in Lagos after the lifting of the ban on party politics. The NPN could be seen as an offshoot of NPC (first republican political party). The major bulk of the leaders of the NPN came from the former NPC and a few others from other parts of the country. The leaders included; Alhaji Aliyu Makama Bida, Ali Monguno, Shehu Shagari, Adamu Ciroma, Adisa Akinloye (the party’s chairman) etc.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF NPN
- To develop an enviable housing scheme for all at both urban and rural settings.
- To build a strong and united nation where contented citizens would live in peace and harmony.
- To show respect to the provisions of the constitution.
- To build a prosperous and self- reliant Nigeria based on a strong agricultural and industrial sector where all Nigerians would be given equal opportunities regardless of sex, race, religion or tribe.
CONTRIBUTION OF THE N.P.N
- National party: The party had a true national colouration because its members spread to almost all parts of the country.
- The party won the 1979 and 1983 republican presidential election.
- The party produced the first executive president for the country.
- The party also won the governorship election in seven states of the federation.
- P.N. to some extent implemented its housing scheme in all the states.
- The party helped in producing seasoned politicians who can stand the test of type anytime and anywhere.
UNITY PARTY OF NIGERIA (UPN)
It was the UPN that emerged as the first political association after the ban on political activities was lifted by the military government. Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the founder and leader of UPN. Other prominent personalities of the party included; Chief Adekunle Ajasin, Alhaji Lateef Jakande, Chief Bola Ige, Chief Bisi Onabanjo, Professor Ambrose Alli, etc. Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the presidential candidate of the party. Majority of the members of UPN belonged to the first republic Action Group.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF UPN
- Free education at all levels.
- Integrated rural development.
- Free health services for all citizens.
- Full and gainful employment for all the able-bodied.
CONTRIBUTIONS OF THE UPN
- The party won gubernatorial elections in five states in 1979 and lost one of them in 1983 elections.
- UPN successfully acted as a strong opposition party that reduced the excesses of the ruling NPN.
- The party introduced free education in all the states won by UPN.
- The party produced eminent politicians in Nigeria.
- The party helped to educate the citizens through their programmes and activities e.g. rallies symposia etc.
- Mention the names of the founding fathers of NPN.
- Give the names of the people that founded UPN.
- Highlight the achievements made by UPN.
- Highlight 5 features of the Clifford constitution.
- Enumerate 5 failures of the Richards constitution.
In our next class, we will be talking about Major Political Crises in Nigeria. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃