Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about the development of political parties in Nigeria. Enjoy the class!
The Development of Political Parties in Nigeria
NIGERIAN NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY (NNDP)
The Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP) was formed in 1923, following the introduction of the elective principle by Clifford constitution of 1922. It was the first political party in Nigeria and was founded by Nigeria’s father of nationalism, Herbert Macaulay. The party controlled the four elective legislative seats from 1923 to 1938. The Nigeria National Democratic Party (NNDP) also founded Lagos Daily News. This helped to aid political activities and campaigns of the party. The party was exclusively based in Lagos and had no national outlook as its name claimed. The party won all the three seats allocated to Lagos in the legislative council in the elections of 1923, 1928 and 1933.
THE NIGERIAN YOUTH MOVEMENT
The Nigeria Youth Movement (NYM) was formed in 1935. It was initially known as the Lagos Youth Movement. The objective of the National Youth Movement was complete autonomy for Nigeria. In 1938, all the four elective seats in the legislative council were won by the Nigerian Youth Movement at the expense of the Nigerian National Democratic Party. Ernest Ikoli and Samuel Akinsanya were two of the party’s leaders. Internal party dispute led to the party’s destruction in 1944.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF NYM
- To fight for the improvement of Yaba Higher College by getting it affiliated to British University.
- To gain independence for Nigeria.
- To work towards the unity of Nigeria.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE NIGERIAN YOUTH MOVEMENT
- It won all the three elective seats allocated to Lagos in the legislative council.
- It acted as the first nationalist movement with a national outlook.
- NYM gave birth to modern nationalism in Nigeria.
- The movement promoted Nigerian unity and national consciousness.
- The movement established a powerful newspaper called Daily Service.
- NYM set the machinery in motion for the political emancipation of Nigeria.
THE NATIONAL COUNCIL OF NIGERIA AND CAMEROON (NCNC)
The National Council of Nigeria and Cameroon (NCNC) was formed in August 1944. The first president was Herbert Macaulay and the first general secretary was Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe. At the death of Macaulay, Azikiwe took over as the president. The NCNC was the first political party to be organized to seek total independence for Nigeria.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE NCNC
- To achieve self-government for Nigeria.
- To spread political education to the people.
- To arouse the political consciousness of the masses.
- To organize and collaborate with all its branches throughout the country.
- To provide members with a medium of expression.
THE CONTRIBUTIONS/ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE NCNC
- The party encouraged the unity of Nigeria and helped in the struggle for self-government in Nigeria.
- The party encourages Nigerians on their political rights.
- It introduced and published the West Africa Pilot which served as a powerful platform for opposing the colonial rule.
- The party was the brain behind nationalist opposition to the 1946 Richard’s Constitution.
- The NCNC formed the first regional government of Eastern region and contributed greatly to its development.
- It formed coalition government with NPC in 1960 and produced the first president.
- The NCNC raised the funds which were used in sending protest delegation against the 1946 constitution to London.
- Explain the origin of NNDP.
- Who were the founding fathers of NYM?
- Enumerate the contributions made by the NCNC.
- Discuss 5 internal factors that gave rise to the nationalist movement in Nigeria.
- Highlight 5 factors that gave rise to the slow nationalist movement in French West Africa.
In our next class, we will be talking about Northern People’s Congress (N.P.C), The Action Group (A.G.) and Second Republican Political Parties. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.LEARN TO CODE IN 8 WEEKS. Pay Only ₦25000 To Join Class💃
Access Fun Video Lessons to Pass WAEC, NECO, JAMB, POST-UTME in One Sitting💃