Back to: CRS JSS1
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about a relationship in church and community. Enjoy the class!
Relationship in Church and Community
Identification of the names of community leaders
The church is a building where Christians worship. The group of Christians who worship together is also referred to as the church. When a group of people live in one place and are united by origin and interests, they are called a community. Every community is an extension of each family. The interaction that exists among different families makes up the community. Names are given to community leaders following the language spoken by the people of that community and the role performed by the leader in the community.
The names of some community leaders are;
Name of community leaders
|Yoruba land||Oba, Baale, Mogaji|
|Hausa land||Emir, Sultan, Seriki|
|Igbo land||Igwe, Eze, Obi|
Ways of sustaining a relationship in the community
- Respect for Elders and Leaders: Every elder and leader in our community should be respected. Romans 13:1-4 admonishes us: “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore, he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed and those who resist will incur judgement.”
- Obey the Laws of the Land: Every member of the community must obey the laws in the community so that peace can reign and the community can enjoy the progress.
- Participate in Community development: The development of the community depends on our efforts. We are expected to participate in every developmental project in our community. Such developmental projects include environmental sanitation exercise, road rehabilitation or construction, the building of bridges, markets, town hall, etc.
- Care for the needy: the needy are the poor people within the community. People who have must give generously to those who do not have.
- Religious tolerance: We must identify the various religious practices within our community and respect their method of worship. We should not see other people’s religion as inferior to ours and we should not feel that our religion is superior to their own. Religious tolerance will guarantee peace and promote mutual co-existence within the community.
Relationship in the Church
A church is the house of God where Christians worship to commune with God and offer praises. Some of the definitions of Church are contained in these Bible passages:
- Ephesians 1:22-23 says, “And he has put all things under his feet and has made him the head over all things for the Church, which is his body”. The above quotation defines the Church as the body of Christ.
- I Corinthians 12: 28 says, “And God has appointed in the Church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in various kinds of tongues”.
This portion of the Bible describes the Church as a body of believers with different talents.
Having identified the definitions of the Church, the relationship in the Church should be as follows:
- The Church should be a place where brotherly love is shared among Christian brothers and sisters.
- The Church should be a place where there is no discrimination.
- There should be genuine care for all brethren in the Church.
- There should be respect for the servants of God i.e, the Pastor and other Church Officials.
- The Church should be a place where the true word of God is preached.
- The Church should be a place where erring members, including the Ministers of God, are disciplined. Likewise, it should be a place where worshippers are reformed to become better citizens.
Maintaining a relationship in the church (1 Peter 3:1 – 13, Romans 13:1-7)
The Church is an assembly of the children of God. More so, the Bible enjoins us not to forsake the gathering of one another. The Church is regarded as a place where people are fed with the word of God to know the right things to do. The Bible admonishes that the following relationship should exist among Christians in the Church.
- Christians should have love of the brethren and sympathy for one another.
- Christians should have a tender heart and a humble mind.
- There should be unity of Spirit among Christians.
- Christians should not return evil for evil but on the contrary, they should bless because they have been called so that in blessing others, they will also obtain a blessing.
- They should keep their tongues from evil and their lips from speaking deceit.
- Christians should seek and pursue peace always.
- They should obey and respect the leaders both in the Church and in the community because leaders are appointed by God.
- Christians should be obedient to avoid the wrath of God.
- Christians should pay their dues and taxes to whom they are due.
In our next class, we will be talking about Deborah and Barak Lead Their People to Freedom. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.Your Opinion Matters! Quickly tell us how to improve your Learning Experience HERE
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!