Back to: Home Economics Primary 5
Welcome to class.
Did you know that our clothes need care like we care for our pets?
CARE AND MAINTENANCE OF CLOTHING
Maintenance of clothing is the way of keeping clothes clean and lasts longer
Why do we wear clothes?
- To cover our nakedness: Clothes are worn to cover our bodies, so that we don’t walk about naked. Any adult who walks about naked will be seen as a mad person because it is not normal to be naked in a modern society such as ours.
- To keep our bodies warm: Clothes keep our bodies warm when we put them on. When the weather is cold, it is the clothes we wear that keep us from feeling too cold.
- To protect our bodies from injuries: Clothes protect our body from injuries. The sun at times hurts our bodies if we expose ourselves to it. Also many harmful things that could hurt us first make contact with our clothes and this helps to prevent us from being injured.
- Clothes make us look attractive and beautiful: It is fashionable to wear clothes. When we put on clothes we look fine or attractive.
- We wear clothes to protect the body from dirt and infection
- We wear clothes to protect the body against rain, sunshine and insects bites.
Types of Clothes We Wear
- Iro and buba
- T shirt
Types of clothes suitable for different climates
Different types of clothes are suitable for different weather conditions in our environment. Therefore, we need to wear clothes that will suit our environment.
- Cold and wet weather: During this period, thick clothes like jackets, coats, and cardigans should be worn. Raincoats are also worn to prevent being wet by rain during this period.
- Hot and dry weather: In the hot season, light cotton clothes should be worn. Clothes that can easily absorb sweat and allow fresh air to get to our bodies are the most suitable in this period.
How to Care and Maintain Clothes
- We keep clothes clean by washing them with soap and water, after which we spread them out in the sun to dry.
- We should wash our white clothes separately. They should not be washed with coloured ones to avoid staining them.
- When we keep our clothes clean by washing, germs are prevented from entering them. This helps us not to fall sick because germs cause diseases.
- After drying our clothes in the sun, we should iron them so that they can be very neat. When we put on well ironed clothes we look clean and tidy. We should keep our well ironed clothes in our wardrobes or suitcases.
Materials For Washing Clothes
Process of Washing Clothes
Steps in Washing Clothes include:
- Put water in a bucket
- Add some quantity of detergents
- Mix the soap with the water
- Put the clothes in the soapy water
- Soak it for some minutes
- Wash the clothes by rubbing the dirty parts hard between the two hands
- Remove clothes from the soapy water
- Rinse in the clean water until all dirt and soap are washed away
- Squeeze out as much water as possible
- Shake and dry in the shade or in the sun
- Peg the clothes on the line
Care and Washing of Underpants
Underpants or underwears are the clothing materials we use to cover the sensitive parts of our bodies such as our private parts. They are used to cover parts of the body not seen by the public
Types Of Underpants
Care of Underpants
- Underpants should be washed daily
- It should be washed with detergents like ariel, omo, sunlight,etc.
Process of Washing Underpants
- Soak the underpants in warm soapy water for some minutes
- Wash by rubbing the dirty pants between hands, pay attention to part between the legs
- Squeeze out the soapy water
- Rinse many times until dirt and soap removes
- Squeeze out excess water
- Hang to dry.
Why We Iron Clothes
- We iron clothes to kill germs
- We iron clothes to make clothes dry well
- We iron clothes to make it straight and smooth
Materials Used For Ironing Are
- Iron – electric iron or charcoal iron
- Table or ironing board
Process For Ironing Clothes
- Choose the type of iron to be used. Electric or charcoal iron
- If you are using electric iron, plug the iron to the socket and control the iron using the knob on it to reduce or increase the hotness.
- If using charcoal iron, fill iron with charcoal and put fire. Fan the charcoal until iron is hot.
- The iron can then be used for ironing.
- List six ways by which clothes can be maintained.
- Write six materials for caring and maintaining clothes.
- How can we care for our clothes?
Your Opinion Matters! Quickly tell us how to improve your Learning Experience HERE
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!