Tell me, what can you cook all by yourself; I mean without Mum’s help?
COMMON METHOD OF COOKING FOODS
Food is cooked because many of our food cannot be eaten raw. Cooking brings out the taste in our food. Cooking makes food attractive which brings about the desire to eat.
Some food if not cooked can cause discomfort of the stomach e.g. beans, yam, etc. Cooking can make it easy to get a balanced meal. This is because the ingredients used in give different nutrients.
Common Method of Cooking Foods
Boiling: This is the process of cooking food in boiling water until it is tender e.g. rice, yam. The food and the water is placed on the stove and cooked until it gets soft.
Examples of Food Cooked By Boiling
- It is an easy and quick method
- It makes food soft and easy to digest
- Many food can be cooked by boiling
- Some food nutrient can be lost in boiling water e.g. water soluble vitamins.
Steaming: It is a method of cooking food in the steam from boiling water. No direct contact between the food and the boiling water
- Steam food are easily digested
- It is suitable for cooking for children, invalid and the aged
- Nutrients are retained in the food
- It takes longer time than boiling
- It consume more fuel
- It tends to lack flavour
- Name five food that can be cooked by boiling.
- List two advantages and one disadvantages of boiling.
- State two advantages of steaming.
Are you a Parent? Share your quick opinion and win free 2-month Premium Subscription