Back to: Home Economics Primary 6
welcome back to class
- Sewing machine
- Needle and thread
- Hand needle
- Tailor chalk
- One and half yard ribbons
Steps in Apron Construction
- Cut out a rectangle measuring 20in by 32in (50cm by 100cm) from the fabric for your apron.
- Turn the rectangle over so the right side of the fabric is facing down. Hem your sides by folding the fabric5/8in (1.5cm) in along the two short sides of the rectangle. Place wrong sides together. Press with an iron and sew.
- Hem one long end of your rectangle by folding the fabric 6/8in (2cm). Place wrong sides together. Press and sew.
Creating a Pocket
- Cut out a rectangle from your scrap fabric measuring 10in by 9in (25cm by 22cm).
- Turn the rectangle over so the right side of the fabric is facing down. Fold two short edges and one long edge of the rectangle inwards by 3/8in (1cm). Place wrong sides together. Press with an iron.
- Fold one long edge of the rectangle inwards by 3/8in (1cm). Fold over again by 3/8in (1cm). Place wrong sides together . Press
- Place the pocket right side facing up onto the right side of thevapro. Place the wrong side of the pocket to the right side of the apron. Rotate the pocket so the long edge of the pocket that has been folded twice is at the top.
- Top stitch around the top of the pocket, sewing as close to the edge of the pocket as you can.
Create a Ruffle
- Stitch a line of long running stitches 1/8in (0.3cm) from the top edge of your apron. Leave lots of extra thread at the start and end of your stitches.
- Stitch another line of long running stitches 2/8in (0.6cm) from the top edge of your apron. Leave lots of extra at the start and end of your stitches.
- Starting with the left side of the apron, hold on to the end of the thread you left when you made your line of running stitches
Add Your apron
- Fold the ends of the ribbons in by 3/8in (1cm). Sew
- Centre the ribbon over the two lines of running stitches. There should be the same amount of excess ribbon running over either side of the apron. Place the right sides together. Pin in place.
- Fold the ribbon up so it is off the apron. Use a seam ripper to remove the basting stitches
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!