Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Computer Science class, We will be discussing the Operating System. We hope you enjoy the class!
An operating system is software consisting of programs and data that runs on computers, manage computer hardware resources and provides common services for the execution of various application software.
It controls and coordinates all activities within the computer system. It plays the role of a manager in the computer. Without OS (operating system), you cannot communicate with the computer.
Examples of operating systems include:
- Microsoft Windows
- Chrome OS
- Mac OS
The application programs make use of the operating system by making requests for services through a defined application program interface (API).
In addition, users can interact directly with the OS through a user interface such as a command language or a graphical user interface (GUI). The OS controls the basic input and output, allocates system resources, manage storage space, maintain security and delete equipment failure. It controls the flow of data.
An operating system performs these services for applications:
- The OS determines which applications should run in what order and how much time should be allowed for each application before giving another application a turn during multitasking.
- The OS manages the sharing of internal memory among multiple applications.
- It handles input and output to and from attached hardware devices, such as hard disks, printers, and dial-up ports.
- The OS sends messages to each application or interactive user (or to a system operator) about the status of operation and any errors that may have occurred.
- It can offload the management of what are called batch jobs (for example, printing) so that the initiating application is freed from this work.
Functions of an Operating System
- Boot process: When the computer is switched on, the boot program that is resided in ROM initialize the setup of the computer, the then load the rest of the OS from the banking storage (hardware) in the RAM.
- The OS does the work of sharing and accounting of the computer resources.
- It handles the input and output of data and information.
- The OS handles the management of memory.
- It handles the management of the hardware.
- The OS handles multitasking and multiprogramming.
- It handles protection and error trending.
- The operating system acts as an interface between the user and the computer
- It controls interaction and program control
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about “Functions of the Operating System”. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃