Welcome to class, in today’s class we will be talking about various ways of getting married and the object used for the ceremony. I am so sure you will enjoy the class.
Marriage is usually an arrangement between two families. Families who like and respect each other would arrange for their sons and daughter to get married. Today, families do not have as much say in the choice of a marriage partner as they use to. The marriage ceremony is called a wedding. A man who is to marry is called a bridegroom. A woman who is to marry is called a bride.
Types of Weddings
- Religious Wedding: this means the wedding is held in a place of worship, for example, a church or a mosque. For a Christian wedding, the husband and wife are joined together by a priest in a church. On the other hand, the imam join the husband and wife together in a mosque.
- Civic Wedding: the wedding takes place at the registry in the presence of officials appointed by the government.
- Traditional Wedding: The husband and wife are joined together by native laws and customs. This involves paying a bride price to the family of the bride before or during the marriage. This depends on which ethnic group the couple belongs to. It is usually celebrated with big parties and lots of excitement. In most traditional weddings, it is the families that exchange items such as yams, kola nut, and even money to seal the marriage.
Objects used in Marriage Practices
Some of the objects used in marriage practices are as follows:
- Money to buy all that will be needed for the ceremony.
- Wine and drinks
- Holy book either Bible or Quran
- Food items
- Gown and Suits for the bride and bridegroom
This is the end of today’s, I hope you enjoy the class. If you have any questions ask using the comment box. See you in next class.Pass WAEC, JAMB, POST-UTME & more in One Sitting for FREE!💃