Welcome to today’s class!!
We are thrilled to have you in our class!!
In today’s Physical and Health Education class, we will be learning about Basketball
Basketball is one of the most popular sports in the world and one of the most widely viewed. It is a team sport that involves two teams of five active players each trying to score points against one another by throwing a ball through a 300 cm (10 feet) high hoop (the ‘basket’) under organized rules. It is played on both indoor and outdoor courts.
The size of the court, height of the basket, size of the basketball, and length of time that the game is played, can all vary according to the age, size and skill level of players.
Basketball is a fast moving game that involves a lot of variety, including shooting, dribbling, passing, rebounding, defense and much more.
Aside from being a sport that is popular and enjoyed by tall guys, there are some health benefits you derive from participating in Basketball.
Health Benefits Of Basketball
Basketball involves a lot of starting and stopping. While not renowned as an aerobic sport, it is still a great workout that can help you:
- Burn calories (an hour of basketball can burn 630–750 calories)
- Build endurance
- Improve balance and coordination
- Develop concentration and self-discipline
- Build up muscle.
Other Benefits Of Basketball
As well as being a great way to stay fit, basketball can also:
- Help you to make new friends and see them regularly teach you about being a good team player
- Be played by people of all ages and all abilities
- Be played all year round because it’s usually an indoor sport
- Be a fun game that kids of all levels and ages can enjoy
- Be practiced alone – all you need is a ball and a hoop (and you can find a hoop in most local parks and school grounds)
- Be played and enjoyed with as few as two people (although official games require 10 players).
One of the great things about the game is that apart from having a basketball, you require very little other equipment to play. However, as basketball involves a lot of running and jumping, it can also be wise to have:
- Basketball or sports shoes that provide good ankle support
- Mouth Guards
- Protective knee and elbow pads.
In summary, Basketball is a team sport played on a rectangular court where two opposing teams made up of five players attempt to score by throwing a ball into the opponent’s hoop and net, otherwise known as a basket.
What is Basketball?
How many players are required to play in a Basketball game?
Give five benefits of playing Basketball.
We hope you enjoyed today’s class. In our next class, we will be talking about Ball Games – Volleyball.
Let us know your thoughts and questions in the comment section, and we will attend to them as fast as we can.For more class notes, videos, homework help etc download our Mobile App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community HERE for exclusive content and support