Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Business Studies class, We will be discussing the advantages and disadvantages of each type of transportation. We hope you enjoy the class!
ADVANTAGES OF TRANSPORT BY ROAD
- Road transport is flexible.
- It is a suitable means of transport for carrying perishable goods.
- It is relatively a faster means of transport.
- The maintenance cost is low.
- Loading and unloading are easy.
- It provides door-to-door service for transporting goods, etc.
DISADVANTAGES OF TRANSPORT BY ROAD
- The rate at which accidents happen is high.
- Congestions and traffic congestions occur in road transport.
- It is not suitable for carrying fragile goods.
- It does not operate on schedule.
- Welfare facilities such as canteens and toilets are not provided.
- It is not suitable for conveying heavy and bulky goods, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF RAIL TRANSPORT
- Trains carry bulky goods more than motor vehicles.
- Accidents are not a common occurrence.
- Train fares are cheaper than that of motor vehicles.
- It is good for long-distance journeys.
- Canteen and toilet facilities are made available in trains.
- Trains do not experience traffic hold-ups, etc.
DISADVANTAGES OF RAIL TRANSPORT
- It is not flexible like road transport
- The maintenance costs of trains and their lines are high
- Loading and unloading of goods in trains are not easy
- Trains do not provide door-to-door service
- Trains cannot be used by firms to do door-to-door advertising
- Trains delay a lot on their ways as they stop from station to station, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF WATER TRANSPORT
- It is the most suitable means of carrying bulky goods.
- It connects countries of the world.
- It helps to make international trade possible.
- It is cheaper in long-distance journeys than air transport.
- Cargoes are expertly packed in ships.
- Luxurious facilities are provided in trains, etc.
DISADVANTAGES OF WATER TRANSPORT
- It is very slow, especially for long distances.
- It is very expensive to acquire a ship.
- Construction of new seaports is very expensive.
- It is faced with the dangers of sea storms.
- It is not a common means of transportation.
- Loading and unloading of goods in ships is not easy, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF AIR TRANSPORT
- Air transport is the fastest means of transport.
- It is the most suitable means of transporting perishable goods.
- When efficiency and comfort are essential, it provides the answer.
- It is conducted on schedule and therefore, it is reliable.
- It is a very good means of transport over long distances.
- It costs nothing to provide air routes, etc.
DISADVANTAGES OF AIR TRANSPORT
- Air transport cost is very expensive.
- It is not flexible because it is operated on schedule.
- It is not suitable for carrying bulky goods.
- Its operation is influenced by the weather.
- Cost of construction and equipping of airports are expensive.
- Airports are located away from people, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF PIPELINE TRANSPORTATION
- It is a suitable means of transporting liquids.
- It is cost-effective.
- It does not require elaborate preparation for loading and off-loading.
DISADVANTAGES OF PIPELINE TRANSPORTATION
- Pipelines are prone to vandalisation.
- Some pipelines carrying toxic materials can be dangerous to the environment when damaged.
- The cost of patrolling the pipelines to guard against vandalisation is very high.
- State four advantages of air transport.
- What are the five shortcomings of rail transport?
Business Studies for JSS3 by O. A. Lawal, pages 44 to 51
- —- is the fastest means of transport. A. Air B. Water C. Road D. Rail
- —- is the most suitable means of transport for carrying bulky good. A.Water B. Air C. Road D. Rail
- The —- transport system is the most suitable for carrying perishable. A. Road B. Air C. Rail D. PipelinE.
- _____ transport system is affected by traffic jams. A.Road B. Rail C. Air D. Water
- The transport system that is most affected by weather is _______ A.rail B. road C. water D. air
- State five advantages and five disadvantages of transport by air
- Mention three advantages of water transport over-air
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Communication. We are very much eager to meet you there.
Are you a Parent? Share your quick opinion and win free 2-month Premium Subscription