Welcome to JSS3 Third Term!
We’ve had a remarkable journey from the First term to this moment. We are going to continue our journey into the world of Business Studies.
In today’s class, We will be discussing Tabulation on Simple Column. Enjoy the class!
Tabulated work is made more effective by ruling lines either horizontally or vertically. If it is only horizontally lines that are to be ruled, underscore and let the line project at least two spaces beyond the margins that have been set on both sides. You must always turn up one single-line space before a horizontal underscore and two single-line spaces after. If, on the other hand, both horizontal and vertical lines are to be used, you will either underscore, in which case the paper will have to be removed from the machine after the table has been typed and re-inserted sideways to rule the vertical lines, or after typing the horizontal lines by underscoring the vertical lines with ink.
Vertical lines between columns must be ruled in the middle of each blank space. It is usually recommended that two or more spaces be left before ruling and the point on the scale at which the vertical line is to be used should be marked by a light pencil mark. To find the point at which to mark the vertical line, move the tab stop along the vertical line, divide the number of space between the columns by 2 and take the next highest figure. For example, 3 spaces between columns, divided by 2 give 1.5. You will now approximate .5 to 2. Or if it is 5 spaces between columns, divided by 2 gives 2.5 calls it 3. From the tab stop, backspace 2 and the point at which you are is the point to mark the vertical line.
Tabulation involves arranging items in columns. In a tabular arrangement, therefore,
Items stand out below each other, vertically, and on the same line as another in the next column, if horizontally.
Tabular work has the following features:-
1 Top and bottom margins are equal if vertical display.
2 Left and right margins are equal if a horizontal display.
3 Equal spaces between the columns, usually odd number spaces such as 3, 5 or 7 spaces.
- Left and right margins, being equal, the table is centred over the page
- The effectiveness of any display work, particularly, in tabulation depends on correct horizontal calculation.
- Ensure correct with of your paper on the typewriter
- Pica and elite typewriters have six standard spaces to a vertical 1 inch (25 mm).
4 Horizontal spacing: Pica – 10 characters (horizontal spaces = 1 inch). Elite – 12 characters (horizontal spaces = 1 inch).
TWO-COLUMN TABULAR DISPLAY
NATURAL RESOURCES LOCATION
Palm oil Imo
FOUR-COLUMN TABULAR DISPLAY
SHORTHAND ‘BOLA MATHEMATICS MUKORO
TYPEWRITING NWOYE PHYSICS ADAMS
BUSINESS STUDIES SHUAIBU CHEMISTRY LIZA
COMMERCE MARTINS BIOLOGY UWAH
1 What are the typewriting typefaces?
2 What is most important in the effectiveness of any display work?
READ BUSINESS STUDIES FOR JSS3 by O. A LAWAL and others. pages 152-154.
- Pica and elite typewriters have ——— standard spaces to a vertical 1 inch (25 mm). a) 5 b) 6 c) 7 d) 8
- For a vertical display top and bottom margins must be ————- a) odd number b) unequal c) equal d) even number
- To center the table heading, the left and right margins must be ——– a) equal b) even c) odd number d) unequal
- The odd-number spaces between columns help to insert ———— a) missing words b) missing letters c) lines d) decorations
- To ensure the correct width of your paper on the typewriter by inserting the paper with the left edge on scale point ———- a) 25mm b) 0 c) 2 d) 3
1 Display with your typewriter the manuscript in Exercise 5 on page 155.
2 In an A4 landscape, how many characters are there in a pica typewriter?
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about The Review of Vowel Sound. We are eager to meet you there.For more class notes, homework help, exam practice, download our App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community for exclusive content and support HERE