Hello class, welcome to a new term.
Examples of Civil Society Groups in Nigeria
Civil society groups in Nigeria include the following:
- Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO)
- Human Rights Watch (HRW)
- Campaign for Democracy (CD)
- National Democratic Coalition (NADECO)
Functions of Civil Society Groups in Nigeria
- They protect human rights: Whenever a citizen is denied his/her right, they help to protect the right of such a citizen. They may arrange legal aid for such citizens. The Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) does this most of the time.
- They represent alternative views: Their views, which are often different from the views of pressure groups, are taken into consideration by the government.
- They help to check government excesses: They make their views known about government programmes and policies, especially when they are against the interests of the citizens.
- They facilitate the democratic process: The involvement of civil society groups in debate, dialogue and criticisms of government policies and programmes, and their suggestions, help to promote democracy.
- They promote consumer rights. This means that they fight for the protection of the rights of consumers of goods and services.
- They promote healthy lifestyles and practices among their members.
Problems of Civil Society Groups
- Inadequate Funding
- Intolerance with political parties
- Problem of Identification
- Lack of personnel
- What are the major functions of civil society groups?
- List three examples of civil society groups you know