Welcome back to class
Meaning of National Honour
National honours are awards that are officially given to person for his/her contributions to the development of the nation. Members of the society who have made contributions towards national development are usually recognised and they are given awards for their contributions.
National honours are given to people to show that the nation greatly respects them for their achievement.
Types of National Honours and Awards
- MON–Member of the Order of the Niger
- MFR-Member of the Order of the Federal Republic
- CON–Commander of the Order of the Niger
- CFR–Commander of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- GCON-Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger
- GCFR–Grand Commander of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- OFR–Order of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- OON-Order of the Order of the Niger
Some reasons for giving national honours and awards
- To recognise and reward the hard-work the individuals have done for the development and growth of the society.
- To recognise their obedience to the laws of the country.
- To appreciate their loyalty and patriotism to the country.
- To reward the selfless service the individuals have rendered.
- To further encourage the people recognised, to do more excellent work and meritorious services for the nation.
- To encourage other citizens to serve the nation selflessly.
- We as citizens of our country must try and make our contributions to the growth and development of our local communities first, and then to the nation.
- We must learn from those who have been given awards by studying their behaviour and how they live with others in society.
Examples’ of Selfless Services
- Giving to the needy or poor in the community.
- Serving your country in any capacity when called upon
- Building of schools and hospitals in rural communities
- Supporting government efforts
Outstanding National Award Recipient
Aliko Dangote GCON
Mr Mike Adenuga GCON
Senator David Mark GCON
Air Marshal Alex Sabundu Badeh Chief Of Defence Staff CFR
Maj. Gen. Kenneth Minimah Chief Of Army Staff CFR
Rear Admiral Usman Jibrin Chief Of Naval Staff CFR
Air Vice Marshal Adesola Amosu Chief Of Air Staff CFR
Alhaji Sulaiman Abba Acting Inspector General Of Police CFR
Hon. Justice Bolarinwa O. Babalakin Fmr. Supreme Court, Judge CFR
- What are national honours and awards?
- Mention three different types of national honours and awards.
- Give at least three reasons why members of the society are given national honours.
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community for exclusive content and support HERE