welcome back to class
Self-Responsibility to Protect our Health
There are certain things we can do or avoid in order to protect our own health.
Some of these things are:
- Avoid smoking cigarettes.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- 3 Tell your parent or teacher when you are sick.
- Go to the hospital.
- Avoid buying drugs that have not been prescribed by the doctor.
- Avoid self-medication. Never use drugs when they have not been prescribed for you by a doctor.
- Don’t use drugs to stay awake.
- Keep away from friends or neighbours that are drug addicts.
Protecting the health of those around us
You can protect the health of those around you by doing the following:
- Discourage your friends and neighbours from drug abuse.
- Advise your sick neighbours to see the doctor. That is, they should go to the hospital to obtain good treatment.
- Advise them to use drugs according to prescription.
- They should avoid buying non-prescription drugs.
Concept of Right and Wrong, Good and Bad
A drug is an illegal substance that some people smoke or inject into their body to give them pleasant or exciting feelings.
When we say something is right or wrong, we mean good and bad. When one continuously uses drugs without control, he or she faces serious consequences such as becoming a drug addict, mentally sick, excessively nervous, or dying outrightly. This shows, therefore, that it is bad to use drugs anyhow.
Religious Tenets on Substance Abuse
The major religions we practise, such as Christianity, Islam and the traditional African religion, are all against substance abuse or drug abuse. These religions state clearly that we should run away from the consumption of substances that are injurious to our health. Christians and Muslims alike are encouraged by their beliefs that they should stay away from alcohol. This means that God is against the abuse of these substances, in as much as our religions are against them, and our governments also say we should avoid drug abuse. It is therefore important for us to stay away from drugs that can destroy our lives.
Drugs That are Commonly Abused
- Cough Syrup/Codeine
Health Consequences/Impact of Using Drugs
- Mental disorder
- Serious diseases such as lung disease
- Poor work brain
Socio-Economic Consequences/Impact of Using Drugs
- Poor school performance
- Disruption in relationship with families and others.
- School dropout
- Financial problem
- Unkept personality
- Inability to focus
- Under development of a community
- Name two ways in which you can protect your health.
- Mention four ways you can protect the health of others.
- State five drugs that are commonly abused
- List three consequences of drug abuse
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community for exclusive content and support HERE