Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Computer Science class, We will continue our lecture on Digital Divide. We hope you enjoy the class!
The old economy is the economic system mainly based on subsistence farming. It involves trade by barter. It is associated with under-developed or developing countries of the world.
FEATURES OF OLD ECONOMY
- Its processes were time-consuming.
- It required a lot of labour.
- It was mechanically driven.
- Scarcity of labour and low manpower development.
- Intense labour-based production.
- It was constrained by space, time and distance
- List THREE factors that affect the digital divide.
- Explain the economic factor.
The new economy was an evolution of developed countries from an industrialized/manufacturing-based wealth creation economy to the service sector based economy. As a new economy is emerging, the old economy is fading out gradually.
FEATURES OF NEW ECONOMY
- It is a digital economy.
- It is not constrained by time, space and distance.
- It is technologically driven.
- It is a global economy.
BENEFITS OF NEW ECONOMY
- Globalization: the new economy has turned the whole world into a global village.
- Electronic commerce: E-commerce is the act of buying and selling over the internet facilitated by immediate payment via credit cards.
- Digital Economy: the new economy involves the use of information and communication technology (ICT) with the use of computers and telecommunication equipment for information processing.
- Job opportunities: New economy emphasizes more on what you know, what you have to offer and what you are prepared to do.
COMPARISON OF THE OLD ECONOMY AND NEW ECONOMY
|Old Economy||New Economy|
||Cost is cheaper.|
||Automated processing era.|
||It is technology-driven.|
||It is fast in processing.|
||It requires a few labour force.|
- Differentiate between New economy and Old economy
- List and explain TWO features of new economy.
- How is new economy driven by technology?
- Explain the term Globalization.
READING ASSIGNMENT: A HANDBOOK ON COMPUTER STUDIES PAGE 4-6
- Which of the economy is mechanically driven? A. new economy B. digital economy C. old economy D. none
- The old economy is constrained by time because of………A. lack of enough manpower B. time is too short C. it is mechanically driven D. none
- Which of the options describe new economy? A. industrial Age B. machine age. C. technology-driven age D. electrical driven age
- Which of the economy is driven by technology? A. old economy B. ancient economy C. new economy D. A and B.
- Which of the economy uses more of manpower? A. old economy B. ancient economy C. new economy D. A and B.
- Differentiate between old economy and new economy.
- State two features of both economy.
Access Fun Video Lessons to Pass WAEC, NECO, JAMB, POST-UTME in One Sitting💃