Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Computer Science class, We will be learning about Search Engines. We hope you enjoy the class!
TOPIC: USES OF SEARCH ENGINE
A search engine is a software program or script available through the Internet that searches documents and files for keywords and returns the results of any files containing those keywords.
A search engine is a site on the WWW that allows you to search for other websites. It is more powerful than a web directory. It will search the web or the basis of the keyword that you give.
There are thousands of different search engines available on the Internet, each with their own abilities and features. The first search engine ever developed is considered Archie, which was used to search for FTP files and the first text-based search engine is considered Veronica.
Today, the most popular and well-known search engine is Google. Other popular search engines include AOL, Ask.com, Baidu, Bing and Yahoo.
A search engine has a huge database of internet resources such as web pages, newsgroups, programs, images etc. The major function of a search engine is that it helps to locate information on the World Wide Web.
- What is a search engine?
- List TWO examples of search engine.
Note: THE MOST POPULAR SEARCH ENGINE IS GOOGLE.COM
· Search Engine Components
Generally, there are three basic components of a search engine as listed below:
- Web Crawler
- Search Interfaces
1. Web crawler
It is also known as spiders or bots. It is a software component that traverses the web to gather information.
All the information on the web is stored in a database. It consists of huge web resources.
3. Search Interfaces
This component is an interface between a user and the database. It helps the user to search through the database.
EXAMPLE OF SEARCH ENGINES
|It was originally called BackRub. It is the most popular search engine globally.|
|Bing||It was launched in 2009 by Microsoft. It is the latest web-based search engine that also delivers Yahoo’s results.|
|Ask||It was launched in 1996 and was originally known as Ask Jeeves. It includes support for match, dictionary, and conversation question.|
|AltaVista||It was launched by Digital Equipment Corporation in 1995. Since 2003, it is powered by Yahoo technology.|
|AOL.Search||It is powered by Google.|
|LYCOS||It is the top 5 internet portal and 13th largest online property according to Media Matrix.|
|Alexa||It is a subsidiary of Amazon and used for providing website traffic information.|
USES OF SEARCH ENGINES
Search engines can be used to:
- To carry out research.
- To search for information about peoples, places and products.
- Get the definition of words, acronyms, etc.
- Download applications from the internet.
- To lookup other websites.
- List the search engine components.
- State THREE uses of search engines.
- Write briefly on Google and Bing
- What is web crawler?
- A program that goes through the Internet that searches documents and files for keywords and returns the results of any files containing those keywords is called…………. A. web Crawler B. search engine C. websites D. internet
- The following are components of search engine except…… A. web crawler B. search interface C. database D. website.
- Which of these search engines was launched in 2009 by Microsoft A. Bing B. Google C. AOL D. LYCOS
- ………………. is a top 5 internet portal and 13th largest online property according to Media Matrix. A. Bing B. Google C. AOL D. LYCOS
- ……………….. is also known as spider or A. web crawler. B. Search interface C. Search engine D. Database.
- List and explain TWO examples of search engines.
- What is a search engine?
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about “Digital Divide”. We are very much eager to meet you there.
For more class notes, videos, homework help etc download our Mobile App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community HERE for exclusive content and support