Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Christain Religious Studies class, We will be learning about The Reconstruction of the Walls of Jerusalem by Nehemiah. We hope you enjoy the class!
THE RECONSTRUCTION OF THE WALLS OF JERUSALEM BY NEHEMIAH
Nehemiah was very curious to know the state of Jerusalem and her people. The news he got from Jerusalem was very saddening, he was told that the Israelites in Jerusalem were in great trouble and shame and that the gates of the Jerusalem were shattered and destroyed. In response to this, he fasted and prayed for several days. Thereafter, he requested permission from the king to go and revamp Jerusalem. He was granted permission and he delivered the letter of approval from the king to the governor of the provinces in Jerusalem.
The contents of the letter stated clearly that Nehemiah should be given the materials needed for the reconstruction. supplies were made and the reconstruction of the walls of Jerusalem began immediately.
Nehemiah encouraged the people to arise and the response from the people was very positive as they all started to join in in the reconstruction work they all started to join in in the reconstruction work. He said,
Then said I unto them, Ye see the distress that we are in, how Jerusalem lieth waste and the gates thereof are burned with fire: come, and let us build up the wall of Jerusalem, that we be no more a reproach.
They worked very hard night and day with the motivation from Nehemiah. Nehemiah assured them that reconstruction was for the praises of Yahweh and for the glory of Jerusalem that had been lost.
Shortly after the work started, they were faced with opposition. The leaders of the opposition were Sanballat, the Horonite and Tobiah, the Ammonite. The opposition was aimed at frustrating the efforts of the people towards the reconstruction of the wall. Tobiah the Ammonite taunted saying,
“Even that which they build, if a fox goes up, he shall even break down their stone wall.”
Nehemiah knew their plan and he encouraged the people to ignore the opposition while they focused on their work. Nehemiah prayed thus,
“Hear, O our God; for we are despised: and turn their reproach upon their own head, and give them for a prey in the land of captivity: And cover not their iniquity, and let not their sin be blotted out from before thee: for they have provoked thee to anger before the builders. Nehemiah 4:4-5″
Lessons to learn from Nehemiah’s leadership
- Nehemiah showed a spirit of love and patriotism for his nation
- Nehemiah motivated his people into action towards a worthy cause
- Nehemiah’s faith in God was demonstrated through prayer.
Lessons to learn from the actions of the Jews
- The Jews we are very loyal and patriotic to their nation
- They did not allow opposition from external forces to weaken their resolve to build their nation.
- God give them success because they were committed and determined in their endeavour
- Prominent Jews use their offices and positions to the growth of their nation. An example of such is Nehemiah.
Describe how the news Nehemiah’s received led to his passion to reconstruct the walls of Jerusalem
- Trace the events that lead to Nehemiah to embark on the rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem. What do we learn from Nehemiah’s role in the reconstruction of the city walls (November 1990 SSCE)
- Highlight the lessons we can learn from Nehemiah’s response to the opposition from Sanballat and Tobiah.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be learning about Faith in God. We are very much eager to meet you there.
For more class notes, videos, homework help etc download our Mobile App HERE
Join ClassNotes.ng Telegram Community HERE for exclusive content and support