Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Civic Education class, We will be learning about the Activities of Drug Law Enforcement Agencies. We hope you enjoy the class!
ACTIVITIES OF DRUG LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES
There are two major agencies in Nigeria responsible for drug management and control. These agencies are NDLEA and NAFDAC.
a) National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA): This agency was established by Decree 48 of January 1990. The agency has its officials positioned in strategic places such as international airports, seaports and borders. This is to ensure that there is an elimination of importation and exportation of uncertified drugs and other consumables in the country.
FUNCTIONS OF NDLEA
- To ensure eradication of illicit cultivation and demand for narcotic plants across the country.
- To eliminate the root causes of the production and consumption of narcotic plants.
- To promote effective enforcement of drug laws in the country.
- To coordinate all preventive measures against illegal dealings in drugs.
- To prosecute drug law offenders.
- Why is drug law enforcement agency necessary in society?
- Mention four functions of NDLEA.
b) National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC): This agency was established by Decree 15 of 1993 but was officially recognized January 1, 1994.
FUNCTIONS OF NAFDAC
- Regulation of foods, drugs, cosmetics, chemicals, etc.
- Inspection of foods, drugs, cosmetics, chemicals, etc for quality assurance.
- Ensures laboratory test of foods, drugs, cosmetics, chemicals, etc and certify them for consumption.
- Investigation of raw materials and production centre where the foods, drugs, cosmetics, chemicals, etc are produced.
- Registration of foods, drugs, cosmetics, chemicals, medical appliances, etc
ACTIVITIES OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES IN NIGERIA
- Detection of fake and expired drugs.
- Burning of substandard drugs, cosmetics, etc.
- Detection of drug traffickers.
- Arrest of drug traffickers.
- Confiscation of smuggled food and drugs items.
- Prosecution of drug traffickers.
- Destruction of plantations of illegal drugs.
- Public enlightenment campaign.
- What is the full meaning of NAFDAC?
- Mention five activities of law enforcement agencies in Nigeria.
- What is civic education?
- What are the goals of civic education?
- Define the rule of law
- Identify three factors that can promote the rule of law in a state
- List five functions of the executive organ of government
Activities of Law Enforcement Agencies in Nigeria: Fundamentals of Civic Education for Senior Secondary Book 2, Sola Akinyemi
- Explain four major functions of NDLEA.
- Discuss three major problems of law enforcement agencies in Nigeria.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
We have come to the end of this term. It’s been a remarkable journey and we are glad that you have made it this far. For making it this far, we commend you for being resilient, you have taken charge of your education and future.
The Journey still continues though, we are moving on to the Third Term. we hope to meet you there.
Are you a Parent? Share your quick opinion and win free 2-month Premium Subscription