Welcome to SS2 Third Term!
We are eager to have you join us in class!!
In today’s Civic Education class, We will be discussing Responsible Parenthood. We hope you enjoy the class!
Responsible parenthood is the ability of parents to provide for the overall needs of their children in order to become responsible citizens in society. It involves the ability of parents to take care of their children and see to their financial, educational, social, emotional and material needs. It also refers to the duties of parents towards their children in order to prepare them for responsible adulthood.
The duties of parents start immediately the child is conceived. Both husband and wife ensure that there is adequate care for the baby and so the wife must attend antenatal clinic regularly and takes adequate nutrition for the total development and wellbeing of the baby.
After the child is born, both parents monitor the child from the cradle to the adult stage, monitor the type of friends he or she keeps and also guides the children in the way of God.
ROLES/RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE FATHER
- He provides for the financial needs of his family.
- He provides for the nutritional needs of the family.
- He provides security for his family.
- He provides shelter for the family.
- He pays adequate attention to his children’s education.
- He disciplines the family members when any of them is at fault.
- He ensures that the children imbibe good values.
- He shows his family love and care.
ROLES/RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE MOTHER
- She prepares food for the family.
- She keeps the house and surroundings clean.
- She ensures the children are well fed.
- She wakes up early to prepare the children for school and also get their food ready.
- She supervises the children’s homework and also finds time to visit the children at school to ascertain their performance and behaviour.
- She supports her husband financially when necessary.
- She monitors the health of the children.
- She teaches her children to be obedient and respectful to family members and neighbour.
- She must also show exemplary qualities in areas of character, relationship with neighbour and high moral values and also discipline and correct the children when they go wrong.
IMPORTANCE OF RESPONSIBLE PARENTHOOD
- It produces responsible children who would build up the nation.
- It promotes good character and a good values system in society.
- It brings about peace and harmony in society.
- It reduces the rate of crime in society.
- It gives the children a sense of belonging and encourages them to contribute to the development of their country.
- It reduces the level of illiteracy in society.
- It helps to reduce conflict in society.
- It produces future leaders with the spirit of nationalism and patriotism.
- It enhances unity in society.
- It ensures responsible families in society.
- Explain responsible parenthood
- Mention five importance of responsible parenthood in society.
GENERAL SELF EVALUATION
- What is the rule of law?
- Explain three principles of rule of law.
- In what five ways can leaders emerge in a state?
- Outline any five roles of the judiciary in a modern state.
- List five importance of citizenship education.
Responsible Parenthood: Civic Education for Senior Secondary Book 2, R.W. Okunloye et.al, Pages 44-47.
- List any six responsibilities of the children to their parents.
- List five consequences of irresponsible parenthood to society.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
In our next class, we will be talking about Factors that can lead to the Success of Responsible Parenthood. We are very much eager to meet you there.