Welcome to Class !!
We are eager to have you join us !!
In today’s Civic Education class, We will be learning about “Settlement of Disputes in Inter-Communal Societies”. We hope you enjoy the class!
Inter-communal societies have their gains as well as their challenges. There is no human relationship that is free from disagreements or misunderstanding. Communal societies are no exempted from this rule. Due to the simple way of life of villagers, conflict resolution in such a community is also simple. However, where serious issues are involved it may require the intervention of the court. The common areas of conflict in communal societies borders on properties such as land, inheritance, disobedience to existing laws and appointment of people into positions of authority. What is important however is how to manage such crises or challenges when they arise. Disputes and conflicts are resolved in the following ways:
DIALOGUE: This is a method of dispute resolution whereby the warring parties are called to state their grievances and the leaders will settle the issue using their local experiences and knowledge.
MEDIATION: In this type of conflict resolution, a neutral and impartial outsider works with those involved in the conflict to assure them of a satisfactory outcome. Those who are usually involved in this are community heads and traditional rulers.
COMPENSATION: This is the replacement of what has been destroyed or badly damaged in the course of the conflict in order to ensure peace in the society.
ARBITRATION: This is a conflict resolution method where special bodies are set up to investigate and settle conflicts between warring parties.
COURT SYSTEM: This has to do with the settlement of disputes in a court through the services of professional lawyers.
SPECIAL PEACE-KEEPING TASKFORCE: This is the use of armed forces such as JTF to restore sanity between warring communities to avoid the destruction of lives and properties. This kind of conflict resolution method is usually followed up by roundtable discussions.
- State the methods of dispute resolution in a communal society.
- Explain each of the methods you have mentioned above.
IMPORTANCE OF INTER-COMMUNAL RELATIONSHIP
- Peaceful settlement of disputes.
- The close relationship among members of the communities.
- It creates a conducive environment for social, political and economic activities.
- It ensures peace and progress in society.
- The non-existence of rebellion by militants due to a peaceful and simple way of life.
- It promotes respect for leaders and elders in the communities.
- Promotion of unity and cohesion in the community.
- It enhances law and order in society.
- What are the ways through which conflict is settled in a communal society?
- State the importance of communal societies.
- Who is a citizen?
- Mention four duties of a citizen.
- How can the rights of citizens be restricted?
Settlement of Disputes in Communal Society: Fundamentals of Civic Education for Senior Secondary Book 2, Sola Akinyemi, Pages 116-118.
- Describe one way of settling disputes in an advanced society.
- State four factors that can reduce disputes in communal societies.
We have come to the end of this class. We do hope you enjoyed the class?
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.
We have come to the end of this term and hence SS2. It’s been a remarkable journey and we are glad that you have made it this far. For making it this far, we commend you for being resilient, you have taken charge of your education and future.
The Journey still continues though, we are moving on to SS3. we hope to meet you there.
LEARN TO CODE IN 8 WEEKS. Pay Only ₦25000 To Join Class💃
Access Fun Video Lessons to Pass WAEC, NECO, JAMB, POST-UTME in One Sitting💃