Back to: GOVERNMENT SS3
Welcome to class!
In today’s class, we will be talking about Africa as the centrepiece of Nigeria’s foreign policy. Enjoy the class!
Africa as the Centre Piece of Nigeria’s Foreign Policy
The origin of Africa as the centrepiece of Nigeria’s foreign policy could be traced to the First Republic of Nigeria which started 1960 and ended in 1966. It was headed by the Prime Minister, Sir Abubakar Tafewa Balewa. He stated that Nigeria as a nation belong to Africa and therefore would pursue realistic African policies.
Other leaders of Nigeria ensured that Nigeria upheld the interests of Africa in the international world.
Africa as the centrepiece of Nigeria’s foreign policy simply means that the issues of Africa stands tall and most crucial to Nigeria and seeking solutions to these problems are so vital to Nigeria before the global world.
Reasons for the adoption of Africa as the centrepiece of Nigeria’s foreign policy.
There are so many reasons why Nigeria has adopted Africa as her centrepiece of foreign policy. Some include the followings;
- The large size of Nigeria: Nigeria as a country is very large in size with a very huge population when compared to other states in Africa. The economy is robust and vibrant. Nigeria is a voice in the African continent.
- Assistance and support: Nigeria is always eager to help countries in Africa and over the years has played very crucial roles in supporting other African states.
- To foster friendly relationships: In a bid to foster good relationships amongst States, Nigeria extends a friendly gesture to Africa states in need.
- To promote trade and economic developments: Nigeria seeks to trade with other thriving states and always push for growth and developments of African economies.
- To promote peace: Nigeria is a member of the United Nations and therefore stands for global peace and this is encouraged in Africa and therefore, Nigeria helps to fight against terrorism in Africa.
- Give the origin of Africa as the centrepiece of Nigeria’s foreign policy.
- What does this policy mean?
- Identify the roles Nigeria played in restoring peace in Liberia.
In our next class, we will be talking about How Nigeria has Demonstrated that Africa is the Centrepiece of Her Foreign Policy. We hope you enjoyed the class.
Should you have any further question, feel free to ask in the comment section below and trust us to respond as soon as possible.How Can We Make ClassNotesNG Better - CLICK to Tell Us💃
Pass WAEC, JAMB, NECO, BECE In One Sitting CLICK HERE!
Watch FREE Video Lessons for Best Grades & Academic Success💃